Trying to separate voice from rest of track

GoldWave general discussions and community help
givinitatry

Trying to separate voice from rest of track

Post by givinitatry »

Is it possible to basically mute the voice on a track?
DougDbug

Re: Trying to separate voice from rest of track

Post by DougDbug »

Probably not... :( "You can't un-bake a cake or un-fry an egg, and you can't un-mix sound." (Quoting myself ;) )

What are we talking about???? Of course you can completely mute ALL of the sound whenever there is voice, and leave the other sounds when there's no voice. Or, you can deleted the parts where there's voice (making the run-time shorter). Or if the voice is on the left or right channel, you can mute the left or right channel.

And, GoldWave has a Reduce Vocals effect, which subtracts the left from right to remove "center channel" vocals, as well as everything else that's the same in the left & right channels. (Effect -> Stereo -> Reduce Vocals). There's also a more advanced effect with more options called Stereo Center.

Sometimes this can make a reasonable "Karaoke" version of a song, but usually there are other important instruments in the center too, so the results are not that useful when you kill everything in the center.
givinitatry

Post by givinitatry »

Ah ok.

I wanted to post a clip of a soccer match with a spanish commentator - if you go to youtube and type:

real madrid goals

It is the first video. Title is: Osasuna vs Real Madrid 1-5 All Goals & Highlights (31.03.2012)

To remove the commentators voice or turn it down, such that I can isolate the crowd and game sounds?
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I'm at work, so I can't go on YouTube right now. If it's a stereo broadcast, you have a good chance, since announcer will be basically "mono" in the middle, and the other sounds will be more randomly located.

Give the Reduce Vocals effect a try.
givinitatry

Post by givinitatry »

I am trying the reduce vocals now.

Should I be using the channcel cancellation volume, or the bandstop filter and range?
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

yes you can !

but only in one song : I'll remember you (album album) from Sophie zelmani !

why ? because the XXX sound ingineer did a very bad work : he puts on left channel the voice, and on the right the music ! what a shame !
so you can switch off/on the voice by alternate the right/left/balance in this song ! what a karaoke effect !

i have the CD, and bought the mp3 too, it is the same problem in this song !!

if somebody know how to remixing both channel in this song, thank for help ! because when i listen to it, it makes me ill (hear internal disturbance, like flying ill...)
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

if somebody know how to remixing both channel in this song, thank for help ! because when i listen to it, it makes me ill (hear internal disturbance, like flying ill...)
Effect -> Stereo -> Channel Mixer

I'd start with the Mono Mix or Blend Channels presets. You'll probably want to go with mono, or a mix that's almost mono, in order to put the vocals center or near-center and also keep the left/right channels about the same volume.

If you really want to "go crazy" and experiment, you can try putting the vocal in the center and make a "simulated stereo" with the music. You can do that by copying the music into both channels (in a new/separate file) and using slightly different EQ in both channels, or by adding a short delay (maybe 10mS) to one channel. And/or, you can try delaying the vocal in the opposite channel. (One warning - Simulated stereo usually has phase/comb-filtering problems when played-back on a mono system.)