error : unknown Exception while opening a file

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Michael REMY

error : unknown Exception while opening a file

Post by Michael REMY »

hi,

i'm using last release of goldwave gwave567.exe , on Win7 x64 with 6 Gb of memory and enought space on harddrive and all coidecs are Ok.

So, while i'm openning an .flac file, i have this error at this end of loading:

In text, it is :
Exception: Unknown exception
[Address: 0x764FB9BC, Module: KERNELBASE.dll]
i had process many other files like this one (.flac too), and all were perfect for them; but this one got an error.

what is it ? i tried to play the file (using winamp), and it works, even at the end.

thanks for help
Michael REMY

Re: error : unknown Exception while opening a file

Post by Michael REMY »

well no reply....

so, i have to find out another solution than goldwave, i open the file using medieval CUE splitter (free) and it works !

i'd hope than modo would help me (also a life license user)...
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Of course, only Chris would know what that error means...

It's got to be that the FLAC file is non-standard, or there's something wrong with the CODEC. But FLAC seems to be very solid and mature, so I'm not sure why you'd have problems.

Where did that FLAC come from? I assume it didn't come from GoldWave? What's the format? (Bit depth, sample rate, number of channels?) Is there anything else "unsual" about it?

Perhaps the FLAC file is more than 2-channels, or somehow-otherwise incompatible with GoldWave?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

How big is the file you are opening? When does the error occur (as soon as you open, during decompression, after decompression, ...)?

Chris
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

as i said, i didn't this file anymore because i processed it with other free software.

the file was 600MB (i have 6GB in memory).
The error message occurred in the very end of the jauge. Sometime, it wasn't occured at all but appears once i was in the split dialog tool.
I tried to close Goldwave, reboot the computer, and the error message really occured never at the same moment.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

A 600MB FLAC file could decode to over 2GB, which would exceed the memory limit for 32 bit programs (GoldWave is still a 32 bit program). If you are using RAM storage, that would cause problems. Using Hard Drive storage should work, provided there is enough space on the drive were temporary folders are stored.

Chris