when will be a 64bits release or one able to manage a 1.5h ?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Michael REMY

when will be a 64bits release or one able to manage a 1.5h ?

Post by Michael REMY »

hi !

once again, i have t apply a filter on a long big file (414MB stereo 1h13min 16bits 44Hz).
This filter is just to volume up the sound level.

once again, aven if i own 6GB of memory, goldwave block me with this message : not enought memory is available...)

i'm under win7 x64....

so , when will be a 64bits release to solve this problem ? i always have a long time license, and i could pay more for a 64b version too !
Gord

Re: when will be a 64bits release or one able to manage a 1.

Post by Gord »

Michael REMY wrote:once again, i have t apply a filter on a long big file (414MB stereo 1h13min 16bits 44Hz).
This filter is just to volume up the sound level.

once again, aven if i own 6GB of memory, goldwave block me with this message : not enought memory is available...)

i'm under win7 x64....
Which volume effect were you trying to use? I just tried several different volume effects - Maximize Volume, Change Volume, and Match Volume - on a 90-minute file (16 bit stereo, 44100 Hz, 908 MB .WAV file) and did not receive any error messages under 64-bit Vista.
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

i have to use Maximize Volume on my file (APE format) and it blocked me !

i use win7 x64 with 6GB of memory.
Gord

Post by Gord »

In GoldWave, under

Options > Storage...

ensure that you have "Hard drive" selected under "Temporary Storage", and check that the selected drive has lots of free space.

Also, to be clear, when exactly do you receive the error message? When you try to open the file, or when you try to apply the "Maximize Volume" effect?
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

-my storage IS RAM, not hard disk (i have 6GB and mostly 5GB of free during this operation)

- i had this error message when i try to apply the filter (maximize x2.0), no problem at the openning of the file.

i don't sure, but someone told me opening a APE/FLAC file requiere very more memory than a simple WAV uncompressed file.
Gord

Post by Gord »

Michael REMY wrote:-my storage IS RAM, not hard disk
Okay, that explains it. If you change the "Temporary Storage" setting to "Hard drive" then the error should go away.

And you're right: If GoldWave was a 64-bit application then it would be able to handle much larger files when using RAM for temporary storage. I expect that someday GoldWave will offer a 64-bit version, but in the meantime the above workaround should help.
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

ooooooooah what a new !
you mean whenever i set hard drive TEMP and not RAM, i could exploite bigger file ? the 4Gb restriction do not apply on hard drive temp method ?

in this case, i will do a ramdrive and my case is closed ! thank you!

by the way, i just read the help (since a long time ago) :
Storage Overview
GoldWave supports both hard drive based editing and RAM based editing. These features are described below. Hard drive storage is enabled by default. Use the Options | Storage to configure the storage mode. For uncompressed files, GoldWave will read the audio directly from the original file. It does not copy a file to temporary storage until it is edited or modified. The original file is not changed until it is saved. For most compressed files, the data has to be decompressed to temporary storage when the file is opened.

Working with compressed files may take much more storage than expected. MP3 files, for example, have to be decompressed into temporary storage before GoldWave can edit them. Such files may require over 20 times the amount of compressed storage when opened. A 10MB MP3 file could require over 200MB of storage space.

Hard Drive
In hard drive based editing, the entire sound is stored in a temporary file on your hard drive where it can be modified. This allows you to edit huge files provided the required drive space is available. Only a small amount of RAM is required for each opened sound. The drawback is that editing and effects processing take more time since audio data must be transferred to and from the drive.

RAM
In RAM based editing, the entire sound is stored in your computer's memory. This allows you to edit and process files very quickly. It saves time and reduces the load on your hard drive. The drawback is that the size of the files must be small enough to fit in the available RAM. If you edit or record large files, Windows will start swapping memory to the hard drive, which significantly degrades performance and may cause defects when recording. Also note that in the event of a system crash, it will not be possible to recover a file stored in RAM. Editing files larger than 1GB in RAM is not recommended due to limitations in Windows.
So, my APE/FLAC is a compressed one, so i guess even in RAM, i will not have enought space to process it.
but it is not told that we can overcome the 4GB 32bits limits by using temp hard drive. i will test it next time.
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

here i came again !

so i had another big file 325 MB (341 516 288 bytes), FLAC, 57 minutes.
again, golwave (with pleinfull of RAM free like 5GB of 6 in total) cannot process (maximize up) the volume.

when i fix the temp to the hard drive, it runs !

very strange strange because during the process, i check and track the temp folder, and none file came into it ! i would think
goldwave will need something like 4GB to process my file !
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

I believe Goldwave uses its own temp folder, GWTemp.

There's something you need to consider. Goldwave runs its processing in 32-bit float. This is 2x the space of what your flac file is decoded. Also, you never know just how much undo data is being saved.

I don't think 6GB would be enough period. There's virtually no advantage of trying to run everything in RAM.

I routinely have thrown files multiple gigs in size through Goldwave, so stick it in disk mode and go with it. Every audio editor I've worked with uses "disk mode" anyway.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

32 bit programs can use only 2GB of RAM, even on 64 bit versions of Windows with 6GB of RAM. I'm still waiting for Embarcadero to release 64 bit C++ development tools. Supposedly it will be available later this year.

Chris
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:32 bit programs can use only 2GB of RAM, even on 64 bit versions of Windows with 6GB of RAM. I'm still waiting for Embarcadero to release 64 bit C++ development tools. Supposedly it will be available later this year.
Chris
well,, i thought Embarcadero already release a 64bits compiler.
total commander (software with same problem, 32bits, and enarcadero compiler too) will just release there 64bits release (already beta RC).

i'm still don't understand why goldwave 32bits can handle a "more-2GB" file using a temp on harddrive !!!!
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Embarcadero hasn't released a 64 bit version of their C++ compiler (only Delphi/Pascal).

GoldWave handles files much larger than 2GB when using the hard drive for storage, provided the hard drive is formatted with NTFS (which is usually the case these days, unless it's a portable drive). The 2GB limit applies to RAM storage.

Chris
martinwebster

Post by martinwebster »

32 bit programs can use only 2GB of RAM, even on 64 bit versions of Windows with
6GB of RAM. I'm still waiting for Embarcadero to release 64 bit C++ development tools.
Supposedly it will be available later this year.
Chris
How much ram would a 64 bit version of goldwave actually beable to handle running on windows 7 64 bit?.
Martin
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

what i don't understand is how goldwave can handle more 2GB in a chace file on temp disk, and not in RAM ?

Any way to know the required space (or used space) in temp by goldwave ? If yes, i could set a ramdisk to replace the hardrive and forget the 64bits of goldwave :-)
Gord

Post by Gord »

Michael REMY wrote:Any way to know the required space (or used space) in temp by goldwave ?
That would depend on the particular file(s) you're editing at any given time. Also, if they were saved in a compressed data format then the amount of temporary storage required would be the size of the uncompressed audio data. That size could be difficult (perhaps impossible) to predict a priori.
Michael REMY wrote:If yes, i could set a ramdisk to replace the hardrive and forget the 64bits of goldwave :-)
Remember that Windows will devote a significant portion of its "unused" memory to cache the hard drive(s), so you may very well end up operating against memory (cache) without having to bother setting up a RAM drive.