Recording with GoldWave

GoldWave general discussions and community help
rbendtzen

Recording with GoldWave

Post by rbendtzen »

Hi.

I am wondering if there is a way to record in any audio format using GoldWave? I know that when I've tried to record a file, it record's it as a WAVE file. Then when I save it, I save it as an Ogg file. But is there a way to record a file already as an ogg file? If so, how do I go about setting the options for this?

Also, can GoldWave record streams off the internet or sound through media players such as WinAmp? If so, how do I go about setting it up to do that?

Please let me know. Thank you very much.

Rob Bendtzen
DougDbug

Re: Recording with GoldWave

Post by DougDbug »

When you record, GoldWave is essentially just "capturing" the (uncompressed) data from the soundcard and sending it to a temporary file. When you're done, you can save it in the format of your choice. That's pretty standard for audio editors.

There are some special purpose programs such as MP3 Recorder that can record directly to compressed formats.
Also, can GoldWave record streams off the internet or sound through media players such as WinAmp? If so, how do I go about setting it up to do that?
That depends on your soundcard/driver. If you see the option of "Stereo Mix" or "What-U-Hear", that should work. Sometimes these features are hidden and have to be enabled. Sometimes, you computer just doesn't support it.

There is some more information in the GoldWave FAQ, including instructions for using a loopback cable from your line/speaker output to your soundcard's line-input. (Most laptops don't have line-in.)

If all else fails, Total Recorder can do it.