GoldWave general discussions and community help
Jedinhopy

Goldwave randomly destroys Wave IEEE float signed 32 bit

Post by Jedinhopy »

It happens randomly.
DougDbug

Re: Goldwave randomly destroys Wave IEEE float signed 32 bit

Post by DougDbug »

Is the file greater than 2Gb? (If it's not a file size issue, you can stop0 reading now... I don't have a clue what else it could be...)

The official WAV spec limits file size to 2GB (although some software allows up to 4 GB). There is a 32-bit file-size field in the WAV header, which means you can't hold a number greater than 2GB signed, or 4GB unsigned.

At 32-bits, 44.1kHz, stereo, you can get to around 90 minutes. Less time at higher sample rates... More time with mono.

If that's your issue, there are formats such as RF64 and BWF, but GoldWave doesn't natively support these formats and don't know if you can use a 3rd-party CODEC.

For larger-longer files I usually use FLAC, but you are limited to 16 or 24-bit integer. (24-bits is adequate for almost anything as long as you normalize/maximize first to prevent clipping)
Last edited by DougDbug on Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jedinhopy

Post by Jedinhopy »

Confirm Internal data size is incorrect. The file may be corrupt. Continue anyway? Yes No. Error The file contains no audio data.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

So, this an existing file you are trying to open with GoldWave? ...You didn't say if you were trying to save the file or open it. I had assumed you were trying so save the file and the saved file was "destroyed" or corrupt.

What are you trying to do? Maybe you can convert the file to a different format with some 3rd-party software before opening in GoldWave, or maybe you can accomplish your goal with some other software.

Are you able to open the file with other software, or play the file in Windows Media Player?

Apparently the header is corrupt. Assuming there is audio data, the file-size field in the header may be set to zero for some reason. Or, maybe there really is no audio data?

When you say "randomly", does that mean it some files open and some don't? Or does that mean sometimes the same file opens and sometimes it doesn't?

Can you tell us anything else about the file? Where did it come from? File size? number of channels? sample rate? Playing time?

Maybe run Gspot or MediInfo to get the details.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

When I try to download those before/after files from 4shared, it wants to install an application or I have to sign-up for something. It appears to play the file, but I'm at work so I can't turn-on my speakers listen right now.

You STILL didn't explain WHAT you are trying to do or WHAT'S going wrong...

You'll PROBABLY need to use a different format or a different application, depending on what you are trying to do.

BTW - I don't have any trouble with 32-bit floating point, but I don't use it very often.
Jedinhopy

Post by Jedinhopy »

DougDbug wrote:When I try to download those before/after files from 4shared, it wants to install an application or I have to sign-up for something.
I can't find upload websites without ads. I can't upload wav files in this forum.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Where do the files originate? Have you noticed any problem working exclusively with 32 bit files created with GoldWave (not from external sources that may be corrupt)?

Chris