why is history (undo steps) clear after save or saveAs ?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Michael REMY

why is history (undo steps) clear after save or saveAs ?

Post by Michael REMY »

hi,

Personally, i consider it as a bug : once you save or saveAs your edited file, the history of "undos "is clear ! you can't step back !
why ? it is so unfair.
it is not a normal behaviour, specially without warning or alert message.

I checked the documentation, and nothing is written about that point.

At least, you could add an option to let decide the user to do or not do that memory erase.

Since a lot of years, i always have this unlucky lost of time :
-i open a track to split it in 2 separates files
- i select my second file range then i use trim and SAveAs 2.wav
- i wanted to do UNDO to get back my original track and do the reverse selection and save, but i can't ! i have to reopen again my original track.
So i loose time each time i need to split a file in two...
i thought i missetup my undo step counter to 0 (to save memory) , but i checked it, my counter is on 5.
So ,the lost of "undoes" after saving operations (both Save and SaveAs) is your choice....

best regards.
Mike
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: why is history (undo steps) clear after save or saveAs ?

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave uses a virttual editing system. After saving the file, the virtual table has to be reset to reflect the new audio. Undo after that point is not possible. If you need to undo after saving, then you can select the entire file and use Save Selection As to save under a different name.
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

thank you very much for your reply (and all previous before you always did).
GoldWave Inc. wrote:GoldWave uses a virttual editing system. After saving the file, the virtual table has to be reset to reflect the new audio. Undo after that point is not possible. If you need to undo after saving, then you can select the entire file and use Save Selection As to save under a different name.
it is strange.
something, when i save a file in a different format, goldwave asked me if i want to relaod the saved file or keep my original one on screen. in this case, it did not behave like you said.
JackA

Post by JackA »

Michael REMY wrote:hi,

Personally, i consider it as a bug : once you save or saveAs your edited file, the history of "undos "is clear ! you can't step back !
why ? it is so unfair.

At least, you could add an option to let decide the user to do or not do that memory erase.

- i wanted to do UNDO to get back my original track and do the reverse selection and save, but i can't ! i have to reopen again my original track.
i thought i missetup my undo step counter to 0 (to save memory) , but i checked it, my counter is on 5.
So ,the lost of "undoes" after saving operations (both Save and SaveAs) is your choice....

best regards.
Mike
You might try copying/pasting (paste as new) the audio, that way your undo is preserved and save the "pasted" instance.

Jack
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

JackA wrote:
Michael REMY wrote:hi,

why ? it is so unfair.

best regards.
Mike
You might try copying/pasting (paste as new) the audio, that way your undo is preserved and save the "pasted" instance.

Jack

i just did it in that way. thank for the tip !

it is funny or buggy, but copy-pastedASnew also copies the id3tag when you edit a mp3 file.