Help window background colour

GoldWave general discussions and community help
JohnR

Help window background colour

Post by JohnR »

Hi

I've just downloaded Goldwave for evaluation. Have used it years ago and was happy with it but first thing I found when I looked at it this time is that the choice of background and text colours in the main body of the Help window makes it pretty much impossible to read. (See attached image.) Does anyone else have this problem and know of a solution to it please?

I'm running GW on Windows 10.

Thanks
John

DougDbug

Re: Help window background colour

Post by DougDbug »

I don't know what's wrong but it doesn't look like that on my computer (also Windows 10).
2leftfeet

Post by 2leftfeet »

Does not look like that on my PC either, (Win 10) but I have had this happen with other apps but cannot remember what they were now. How about removing Goldwave and then re-installing. (By the way, I installed it in "program files", Not program filesx86). Probably a PC issue, I think. Good luck.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Thanks for you replies and suggestions folks. Haven't found a way around this. Rebooted, reinstalled, fiddled with Win10 themes (a nightmare in itself!) but the problem persists.

Frustrating that such a stupid thing really means I'll have to look elsewhere for an audio editor unless someone from GW can tell me how to fix it. I don't want to have to go to the forum every time I want help with how to use it.

Very, very disappointing.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I Think help is open in Microsoft Edge (the replacement for Internet Explorer). And I just realized that I changed my Windows 10 options to use Internet Explorer as the default, so that may be one reason I'm seeing something different.

I'm not on my Windows 10 machine right now so I can't experiment but you might try to find some information about changing the colors in Microsoft Edge.

Or... Open Internet Explorer, click the settings/gear icon -> Internet Options -> Programs, and select Internet Explorer as your default browser.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I haven't seen that problem before. Your system may have an old version of SHDOCVW.DLL. You should be able to use Help | Manual to view the same help in a full web browser with the correct colours.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:I haven't seen that problem before. Your system may have an old version of SHDOCVW.DLL. You should be able to use Help | Manual to view the same help in a full web browser with the correct colours.
Thanks for the suggestion. File doesn't look very old (dated 2 Nov 2016). Giving in to the forced upgrade to Windows 10 worst move I ever did. It's so primitive in many respects.