Keyboard Settings "EditChannelLeft" & "Right" are backwards

GoldWave general discussions and community help
KetchupKid

Keyboard Settings "EditChannelLeft" & "Right" are backwards

Post by KetchupKid »

FYI to programmers: The Keyboard Settings for "EditChannelLeft" and "EditChannelRight" are backwards. I adjusted the hotkey accordingly for my use, but I wanted you to know.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Keyboard Settings "EditChannelLeft" & "Right" are backwa

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

This was changed with multichannel support. The keys activate the menu Edit | Channel | Left and Edit | Channel | Right, which have checkmarks.
KetchupKid

Post by KetchupKid »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:This was changed with multichannel support. The keys activate the menu Edit | Channel | Left and Edit | Channel | Right, which have checkmarks.
So does this mean you've corrected the keyboard settings dialog? Will there be an update, then?

Just so you didn't misunderstand, I was talking about the settings menus where the user can set custom keyboard shortcuts. When I set a shortcut for Left channel, it opened the Right channel when I used it.

Okay? I appreciate your work on Goldwave. :)
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I understand. However the keystrokes are correct for the menu items they correspond to. The keyboard function EditChannelLeft corresponds to the Edit | Channel | Left menu item, which toggles the selection of the left channel. If the channel is selected, then it is unselected (unchecked). If it isn't selected, then it becomes selected (checked).

This appears to be the opposite of the way things worked in v5. Since v5 supported only 2 channels, when one channel was selected, the other had to be unselected. However in v6 with multichannel support, any combination of channels can be selected, so things had to change to allow that. Also it had to be consistent regardless of working with stereo or multichannel files.
KetchupKid

Post by KetchupKid »

Sorry - you are not understanding what I am saying because the settings are not correct. But that's okay. I set my hotkey for the Left channel under the Right channel in the settings dialog. And the Right channel hotkey I set up controls the Left channel. I'm fine with it being backwards, because I set my hotkeys up accordingly.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Actually I do understand. When you use "EditChannelLeft" you expect the left channel to be selected exclusively (with all other channels unselected) the way it worked in v5.

However v6 is multichannel requiring "EditChannlLeft" to become a toggle instead. "EditChannelLeft" now toggles the checkmark next to the left channel. This may seem backwards to how things worked in v5 when you are working with stereo files, but it make sense when you are working with more than 2 channels and is consistent with the new checkmarks on the left side of the Sound window. If "EditChannelLeft" toggled the right channel's checkmark, that would be backwards in v6.