Cannot convert

GoldWave general discussions and community help
tvz

Cannot convert

Post by tvz »

I have a .wma file, about an hour long, that I'm trying to save as a .wav file so i can edit without loss of quality. I've done this many times before with other files. But now it converts about half-way; then hangs up for a minute; then converts until it is almost finished; then hangs up again; then gives a message that it "could not write to the file. Not enough storage space is available or the drive/device is not ready." My hard drive has 170 GB available. I have upgraded to the current version of GW, and tried this several time: same results. Any ideas? Thnx...
DougDbug

Re: Cannot convert

Post by DougDbug »

Try this-

Go to Options -> Storage and check if Temporary storage is set up to use memory or your hard drive.
tvz

Post by tvz »

That worked like a charm! Thanks for the help!
caleb451

Post by caleb451 »

sorry to necro a thread, but i am having this same issue. i'm trying to convert a bunch of FLAC files, and i ran into the same "not enough room" error, and i pointed it to my secondary drive, but no dice. i have over 300 gb free, surely conversion don't need that much room? does it need to have a certain kind of folder or something to be pointed at?
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

...surely conversion don't need that much room?
We don't know how big your files are... GoldWave uses 32-bit floating-point for temporary storage so the temporary storage requirements could be about 4 times that of the FLAC. And of course, you need the original file, the temporary file, and the final-output format.

Or if you are converting from FLAC to WAV, there is a file-size limitation for WAV files, (2 or 4 GB depending on which spec you read) and you can exceed that with a "movie length" high-resolution or multi-channel WAV. But, I don't know if an oversize WAV will give you the same error.

If you are just converting files without editing, try TAuidoConverter (FREE!). Once you've set-up your output format & location it's just drag-drop-and-click, and you can convert multiple files at once.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Make sure the secondary drive uses NTFS and not FAT32 or older file system. Also be sure to close and reopen the file to ensure the new temporary storage settings are being used.
caleb451

Post by caleb451 »

it's just a soundtrack album, the largest file is a little over 40mb, but most are between 10-20 mb. and i'm converting to 320kbps mp3.
m_garcon

Post by m_garcon »

I know the original post is from 2017, but I recently ran into this same problem with v6.78. Making changes in Options->Storage did not help in my case. I already had Hard drive selected for Temporary storage. What DID help was opening the Options->Storage configuration window, then deleting old files and directories from the directory listed under Temporary storage-Hard drive. In my case, this directory was C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\. No more "cannot write" error!
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If your hard drive is almost full, then using Windows "Disk Cleanup" will help even more. It removes all of the temporary files and unneeded Windows Update and Restore files too (if selected).