Raw, ISDN A-Law, mono, Hz 8000

GoldWave general discussions and community help
peter594

Raw, ISDN A-Law, mono, Hz 8000

Post by peter594 »

Hi everyone,
I would like to batch convert audio files with goldwave in command line. The files have to ending .voc but seems to be not Soundblaster or something. If I manually open such a file in Goldwave it gives me the the answer the file can't be automatically recognized, however it suggests me the following: Raw, ISDN A-Law, mono, Hz 8000. If I confirm here the files is playable and also savable as MP3.

Now I need to do this automated ... I tried the Batch Processing for a whole folder lets call it "input" and want to convert to another folder called "output" from the above format to mp3. Unfortunatly in batch processing it always tells me file type / format not supported and stops.

My goal would be to create a preset MP3 and call it in command-line with:
GoldWave.exe -process:MP3 "C:\input\*.voc"

Any help would be appreciated how I can tell the programm it should use Raw, ISDN A-Law, mono, Hz 8000
DewDude420

Re: Raw, ISDN A-Law, mono, Hz 8000

Post by DewDude420 »

Have you tried the following:

Renaming a file to have a .mp3 extension and see if Goldwave opens it without a dialog?

Renaming a file to have a .wav extension and see if Goldwave opens it without a dialog?

If I were to make a guess, someone either renamed a .mp3 to .voc; or someone attempted to rename a .wav file to .voc. VOC files are pretty much a fixed format, the idea it would have mp3 there is crazy. Typically what I would do in this case is open the file up in a hex editor and look at the header, but that's not the type of thing most people would do; and renaming a file to .mp3 or .wav and finding one that works is easier.

If you find it does, then you can just put all your desired .voc files in a directory and run a rn *.voc *.mp3 to batch rename all the files.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Raw, ISDN A-Law, mono, Hz 8000

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave does not suggest attributes if it cannot determine the format of the file. The attributes shown are just the first in the list. You'll need to use trial-and-error with different attributes to find the right combination. If the files are for a telephone system, then u-Law or A-Law, mono, 8000Hz are usually the attributes. If you've tried a variety of attribute, but it always sounds like static noise, then a proprietary encoding may have been used and GoldWave won't be able to convert them.

If you can determine the correct attributes, you can use Options | File Formats and select the "Undetectable Types" tab to add the default attributes for the VOC extension. That will allow Batch Processing to handle the files automatically.