audio staticts is there a way ?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Sara

audio staticts is there a way ?

Post by Sara »

Hi
i'm new and i'm running goldwave 6.27 under windows 10
i'm running in trial mode, i really like it ,because it's simple and powerfull and it's even portable

is there an audio statistics ?
like WaveShop

or Wavosaur

i don't use audition but i have found this screenshot Image

i would like to select a portion of an audio or the entire audio and have such audio statistics , can i do with goldwave?
thanks
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
DewDude420

Re: audio staticts is there a way ?

Post by DewDude420 »

Goldwave can give you the peak amplitude in a selection by virtue of the maximize plugin. But there is nothing for RMS stastitics.
Sara

Post by Sara »

DewDude420 wrote:Goldwave can give you the peak amplitude in a selection by virtue of the maximize plugin. But there is nothing for RMS stastitics.
hi
1)
do you mean effect->volume->maximize volume?

2) could i ask if the developer might add RMS stastitics ?
thanks
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

1)
Correct. You can optionally cancel after noting the current peak.

Effect -> Volume -> Match Volume will report an average (similar to RMS), and again you can optionally cancel before applying the effect.

As far as I know, it's impractical to calculate the true RMS of the entire file, so most algorithms do some time-windowing and take an average-of-RMS values (or maybe an RMS-of-RMS values if that makes sense mathematically). So... two different applications may report two slightly different RMS values.

And, the average may also be an average-of-averages over the length of the file.

There is a free command line program called Sox and it has a 'stats' command.
thanks
This is mostly a user-to-user forum, but you can directly contact Chris (GoldWave's developer) via the contact form on this page.
Sara

Post by Sara »

DougDbug wrote:
1)

Effect -> Volume -> Match Volume will report an average (similar to RMS), and again you can optionally cancel before applying the effect.

As far as I know, it's impractical to calculate the true RMS of the entire file, so most algorithms do some time-windowing and take an average-of-RMS values or an RMS-of-RMS values.

And, the average may also be an average-of-averages over the length of the file.

There is a free command line program called] and it has a 'stats' command.
thanks
This is mostly a user-to-user forum, but you can directly contact Chris (GoldWave's developer) via the contact form on [/url].
hi have tried to contact Chris but i have never received an answer :( :(
i know about sox but is not the solution i 'm looking for
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
Sara

Post by Sara »

DougDbug wrote:
1)
Hi DougDbug

i have several audio recordings they are mostly voice recordings , there are wind,and other noise between the speech

how can i calculate the RMS or the peak of such part of the audio? i mean the part with noise or wind

i'm wondering because i would like to auto cue to add marks when there is not speech and only noise/wind ?

i have to select them and calculate peak or RMS
thanks
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If you are using the Auto Cue feature, then you'd want get the peak level with Maximize Volume. You'd need to select an area with just the wind noise and use that effect. You can then enter that as the silence threshold level in the Auto Cue feature. However if the wind noise is as loud as the voice, then the only option would be to set the cue points manually (play the file and press Ctrl+Q to set a cue point).
Sara

Post by Sara »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:If you are using the Auto Cue feature, then you'd want get the peak level with Maximize Volume. You'd need to select an area with just the wind noise and use that effect. You can then enter that as the silence threshold level in the Auto Cue feature. However if the wind noise is as loud as the voice, then the only option would be to set the cue points manually (play the file and press Ctrl+Q to set a cue point).
hi

may i ask could be included an audio staticts feature like audition or WaveShop in the future release or future releases?
thanks a lot
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫