MaxMatch without the maximize

GoldWave general discussions and community help
DewDude420

MaxMatch without the maximize

Post by DewDude420 »

Hello everyone,

I've come up against something I've been racking my brain on for the last 15 hours.

I've got a CD that apparently had a bad spot in the master tape in the form of a dropout. This is not a simple quarter second dropout...it "sounds like someone thre a magnet in the tape machine"...well..it actually sounds more like a dape defect over about three seconds with some fluttery audio and a second of drop out.

This is more than my usual tools can really handle; they were designed for small sudden dropouts and clicks where it just synths a new waveform based on the surrounding area.

About 15 years ago I tried to fix this on a vinyl copy I made if the album by simply doing three amplitude changes. It worked but you could still hear the imperfection.

So I've been been playing with auto gain..which I can get to mostly work except it modifies a little too much of the waveform. So I tried maxmatch; this is something that worked great as both channels should be about the same ampliude save for some stereo stuff. The problem is this section if waveform isn't near maximum.

So, any suggestions. Just letting it sit on the back burner I realize I may be able to cut those sections out, split channels to individual files and run match. But other suggestions welcomed.
DewDude420

Re: MaxMatch without the maximize

Post by DewDude420 »

Turned out to be a lot more complicated. I only got it to "acceptable" by doing almost sample level volume adjustment by hand along with sliding gain. It still sounds a little fluttery....but it's probably a defect that just can't be fixed.
BillK

Post by BillK »

Well Dew, I had that happen to me (sorta) years ago when I was recording some friends in concert. I simply went to another area in the song and copied and pasted - while fixing up both ends of the splice. Your actual case may be different - if this isn't a song. You may be correct, and this is something that can't be fixed.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

I usually search for a matching segment to splice in first. But this is a unique segment in the song that I can't reproduce.