how to insert a cue point at the PAUSE pointer position ?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Michael REMY

how to insert a cue point at the PAUSE pointer position ?

Post by Michael REMY »

hi,

i might be blind, but i cannot find the button or the item in the menu which can insert a CUE point where the marker is paused. where is that feature ?

Thank for help.

ps : i already have a cue sheet, but i need to insert new cues inside while i play-pause. by exemple i need to insert another cue point between cue6 and cue 7 and my marker is paused at the right position.
2leftfeet

Re: how to insert a cue point at the PAUSE pointer position

Post by 2leftfeet »

You can use "Shift+Ctrl+q" but it might be easier to go to the drop down "Options" menu item and then to "Keyboard" and scroll down to "EditCueDrop" function and type in F12 in the "Function column and click "OK". Now, when playing or when paused you will be able to insert a cue point by pushing "F12". Pressing one key is easier than trying to press three at once! Sometimes I need to pause playback in near dark lighting conditions and have made the "B" key the pause key. You can do this by putting "B" in the "ControlPause" entry in the "options > keyboard menu".
I hope this will help you. You can pretty much change any keyboard shortcuts here if you want.
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

thank you i will try it this evening.
by the way, i use the 6.32 release.
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

i tried but it did not produce the result i expected to.

in fact it added another cue point at the right position but the end position is wrong.
as i have already a list a cue point, i thought it would "cut" the concerned point (where it overlay) to insert this new one and reduce the next one.

the CTRL+SHIFT+Q insert a new cue until the end of the track !

so , i change my question : how to split a cue point where the cursor is in pause ?
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

i change my way because i can't find the righrt way to do it.

here my problem:
i have a long file without cue file.
i have the track list with the lenght by track.
how can it "insert that data" into goldwave ?
it try the cue editor, but it cannot afford me to insert the length,but only the end of each track ....i don't want to calculate myself the start-end track infos. i just want to ente r:
track 1 : 1min20
track 2 : 5min 45
track 3 : 6min 50
...etc

any way to do that with goldwave ?

i discovered we can drag & drop the cut point under the graph, but while we drag/move there is not "indication" of the length before we drop ! it would be a GREAT feature tu display the lengh between each cue point under the graph and while we move the cue point with the mouse....

ps : i tried the auto cut but the silences are not equal eveywhere so the result is to random....
2leftfeet

Post by 2leftfeet »

OK Michael, I think our different languages do not help, but I can see now what you can do to insert cue points in a wavefile.
So, if you go to the drop down menu "Tool" and then to "Cue Points". Now, at the botton you will see a "+NEW" button. Click on this and the "Edit Cue Point" window opens. In here you can give the new cue point a name (like the song title). Now enter the start time position (which in your case is 1 min20). I would not bother with the "Description" section unless you want to add some notes). Click on "Close" and you should see the cue point in the file window. You can now repeat the process with the next cue point time (5min 45). and so on. When you have put the cues in, you can hover the mouse pointer over the little blue cue point arrow at the bottom and it will show the name that you have given the cue point. If the start time of the second track is the same time as the end time of the first track, you do not need to worry about entering end times.
It all sounds confusing at first, but I'm sure that you will be able to do this!
P.S. If you want to later, you can right click on a blue cue point arrow and modify the title and description later. Also you can use the "INFO" button on the toolbar to make notes as to what you have done to the file (I use this a lot because I forget things all the time) :( !!
2leftfeet

Post by 2leftfeet »

Just thought of something you might look at... Go to "Options" and then to "Storage options" and at the bottom of this window, check the "Automatically import and export separate cue file" and click OK. Now if you copy and paste a wavefile with cue points, the cues are also copied and pasted. Can be very useful.
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

in fact, here what i just needed : just a tab where i can enter/edit the length by line/track.

unfortunately, Goldwave only afford us to edit the start/end position whereas my need is the Length...
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Check to see if CueMaster has a way of displaying the total elapsed time of each cue instead of the length of each track (cues are not store as lengths - they are always stored as absolute positions). Also see if it allow exporting the cues to a Cue File, which you can then Import in GoldWave.
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

i saw several new features to manage the cue points. there are pretty good and time-savings !
thanks a lot !

here a little suggestion : when we put the cursor between to triangle in the black zone, you should display in a tootips the track name and the length)