WavPack Support ?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
iBypass

WavPack Support ?

Post by iBypass »

Hello Chris,

I'm a very, very long time user of Goldwave, and I always wondered why it's not possible to open & save *.WV files using my all time favorite audio editor software... ?

As far as I can tell, WavPack is free so I don't really understand... is there any particular reason (technical maybe) why this format is still not supported by Goldwave ?

You see, my entire CD collection is stored as *.WV files. I also transfer vinyl records to WAV files (first step with Goldwave) and then I use a different software to archive the files in *.WV for storage on my NAS. Quite often I also use Goldwave to extract samples and create loops out of these tracks but I always need to convert back in WAV before I can play with them in Goldwave. No big deal but it would be nice to skip that extra step !

I know I could have archived all my stuff in FLAC in the first place and voilà, but I didn't... about 2 years ago (mid 2017) my digital music collection was a real mess (mix of mp3 / aac / wav and others...) and sometimes after I did purchase a new NAS server that year I quickly decided to rip all my CDs again from scratch instead of transfering my music mess, and for some reasons I did select WavPack over FLAC back then...

Well, thanks for your input,

Best Regards, Daniel ;-)
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: WavPack Support ?

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

It is a matter of time and demand. There are too many lossless formats out there (WavPack, Monkey's Audio, FLAC, Apple Lossless, WMA Lossless, and many more). There is almost no demand for WavPack support in GoldWave. Adding support would take a fair amount of time away from other things and only benefit a tiny number of users. You can probably find some free software to convert WavPack to FLAC.
iBypass

Re: WavPack Support ?

Post by iBypass »

Hello,

Thanks for taking time to reply a few lines, much appreciated.

Yeah I do use another software to handle all my file conversions (Poikosoft's EZ CD Audio Converter) and it's doing a pretty good job, and since I always convert from a lossless format to another, nothing should ever be lost in the process...

Again, no big deal, to me Goldwave is one of these very few softwares that I just could not live without. My first use of GW was in the late 1990's and as of today, more than 20 years later, I never found a better software to record and edit audio files... and on top of it, It's a Canadian product, Yeah ! :D

Best regards, and respect,

Daniel