"Error - Install Missing Presets" box, all config lost

GoldWave general discussions and community help
DougA

"Error - Install Missing Presets" box, all config lost

Post by DougA »

I use Goldwave a lot, after a bunch of uses this morning, I start it again and get the Error box that says "Install Missing Presets?" Goldwave settings and presets could not be found for current user.
Took me all the way back to a "fresh install", even the license was missing, that was easy to fix, but everything I need to work with is gone.
Any options?
Doug
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: "Error - Install Missing Presets" box, all config lost

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

That is very unusual. Could there have been multiple copies of GoldWave running at the same time? If there was still a copy of GoldWave running, closing it should restore the file. Otherwise if the setting file was deleted/corrupted somehow, there may not be any way to restore it.

You can use "GoldWave Setup" from the system's Menu (Start Menu) to backup settings.
DougA

Re: "Error - Install Missing Presets" box, all config lost

Post by DougA »

Could there be multiples?
Possible, there could have been a new one starting very quickly after one finished.
I have a control program that I use to invoke various audio functions, GW being the primary tool it calls. So, click close; click start new ... possible.
However, I have had multiple occurrences of GW running with no problems in the past.
Unless there's this tiny window when one is closing and another starting.

Nothing I've done to recover has worked, I finally gave up, installed the current version and am now attempting to re-invent everything I've created over the years. It does clean out the obsolete stuff.

Clearly, documenting these procedures is necessary, but they creep up on ya .... however, being a retired mainframe programmer, I should know better !
While backup's are necessary, one is still relying on it. What would be nice is a way to print out a preset document that would contain enough information that one could manually recreate them. Kind of a built in documentation generator.
Doug