Balance offset adjustement...

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Seric31

Balance offset adjustement...

Post by Seric31 »

According to the quality of vinyl records there is often a small offset in the balance of the stereo recording.
Left is a little bit lower than Right or the opposite...

Correcting the offset in order to center is the operation that takes me the longuest time in the restoration...
I have tried Maxmatch but as it maximize the chanels, it does not give me what I want.
So I use the Pan effect moving up and down the balance line until it's around the average of the wave. This gives the balance offset...
Once centered, in order to apply correctly the effect, I need first to invert the sign of the balance offset...
It's quiet annoying in the long run

So a nice feature would be to have the offset automatically calculated before being apllied...
Else, is there a formula to use in the Expression Evaluator that calculate tte average the balance?
Thanks
DougDbug

Re: Balance offset adjustement...

Post by DougDbug »

Run Tool -> Amplitude Statistics to find the LUFS Loudness of the left & right channels. Then subtract to find the difference. Then select one channel for editing and desired change the volume (by whatever dB required) of one channel to match the other. Reduce the louder channel rather than increasing the quieter channel, or otherwise take care that you exceed 0dB.

...I don't know why your opposed to maximizing. It's simply a volume adjustment and if you adjust the album as a whole the original relative volume between tracks is unchanged (if that's what you want).