noise reduction 647 bug or different comapred to 6.3x or 5.70?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Sara

noise reduction 647 bug or different comapred to 6.3x or 5.70?

Post by Sara »

Hi

yesterday i tried to clean up some audio ,and i used goldwave 6.47
i have noticed that with the same settings golwave 6.47 doesn't remove the noise as well like 6.36 and 5.70 (they do a great job)
i selected a portion of 100% noise -> copy -> select all -> noise reduction (same settings) -> 6.47 the bad results

is there a bug in 6.47 or the is the engine changed ?
look
i have performed veveral tests (the portion of noise captured is the same ,i have taken some screenshots only to show and the 6.47 behavior behavior i's weird or buggy
in the full changelog there is nothing about 6.4x noise reduction
can sombody confirm please?

thanks

V 6.47 screenshot
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
Sara

Re: noise reduction 647 bug or different comapred to 6.3x or 5.70?

Post by Sara »

I don't want to spam but i can't add more then 4 links

V6.36
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
Sara

Post by Sara »

v5.70
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

It's very hard to diagnose this sort of problem without an audio file that can be downloaded and analyzed on diagnostic software. That said, I recently did a simple clipboard NR operation with GW 6.47 and didn't notice any problems.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
Sara

Post by Sara »

Tristan wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:37 am
It's very hard to diagnose this sort of problem without an audio file that can be downloaded and analyzed on diagnostic software. That said, I recently did a simple clipboard NR operation with GW 6.47 and didn't notice any problems.
hi
i have downloaded this test file , i don't know where can i upload
might you test with gw 6.47 and older 6.3x and 5.70 please?
thanks
https://www.upload.ee/files/11010362/hr ... 8.mp3.html
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

I downloaded the test file. Before commenting on test results, I'll say that I rarely compare the latest version of GW to earlier versions unless there's some really obvious malfunction -- a menu item doesn't work anymore -- something like that. Chris is constantly tweaking GW, and NR is an especially touchy thing to adjust without creating artifacts. If I don't hear any artifacts, I figure the NR filter is OK.

I ran the .mp3 file through GW 6.47 using "spectrum" mode (which I'd never used before now) and "clipboard" mode. Judging by clipboard mode results, I didn't notice any problems. You are, of course, free to go back to earlier versions of GW if you think they'd work better for you. But if Chris himself asked me whether there was any problem with 6.47 NR filter, I'd say "no", and I use much more sophisticated programs than GW for the vast majority of my NR work, so I think I'm in a position to judge, FWIW.
Sara

Post by Sara »

Tristan wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:43 pm
I downloaded the test file. Before commenting on test results, I'll say that I rarely compare the latest version of GW to earlier versions unless there's some really obvious malfunction -- a menu item doesn't work anymore -- something like that. Chris is constantly tweaking GW, and NR is an especially touchy thing to adjust without creating artifacts. If I don't hear any artifacts, I figure the NR filter is OK.

I ran the .mp3 file through GW 6.47 using "spectrum" mode (which I'd never used before now) and "clipboard" mode. Judging by clipboard mode results, I didn't notice any problems. You are, of course, free to go back to earlier versions of GW if you think they'd work better for you. But if Chris himself asked me whether there was any problem with 6.47 NR filter, I'd say "no", and I use much more sophisticated programs than GW for the vast majority of my NR work, so I think I'm in a position to judge, FWIW.
hi
the GW 6.4X leaves noise , while GW 6.3x and GW 5.70(32bit) don't leave any noise
i have tested it and 3 of my friends found the same results
have you tried an older version then 6.4 and compare the results?
thanks
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Sara wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:11 pm
Tristan wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:43 pm

hi
the GW 6.4X leaves noise , while GW 6.3x and GW 5.70(32bit) don't leave any noise
i have tested it and 3 of my friends found the same results
have you tried an older version then 6.4 and compare the results?
thanks
If you say there's a problem, there's a problem. I'll trust your judgment.

I pretty much moved on from Goldwave for noise reduction years ago, so I'm not terribly interested in the performance of earlier versions. To me, 6.47 is OK. Just leave yours as a bug post for Chris and use a version of GW you think works better in the meantime.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I'll check into it before the next update.
Sara

Post by Sara »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:09 am
I'll check into it before the next update.
hi
thanks
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫