Unwanted stop at cut point when playing

GoldWave general discussions and community help
mattad

Unwanted stop at cut point when playing

Post by mattad »

To understand the problem following the steps below:

1. Load a *.mp3 file into Goldwave
2. Mark a (short) interval in the mid of the song and delete it e.g.(by pressing DEL)
3. Put the vertical line/green arrow indicating the current play position left of the cut point
4. Start playing from this position (by pressing the toolbar icon)
observation: GW plays OVER and beyond the cut point. Good!
5. Stop playing
6. Put again the vertical line/green arrow indicating the current play position left of the cut point
7. Start again playing from this position (by pressing the toolbar icon)
observation: GW STOPs playing at the cut point

In order to check if the deleted interval is cut at acceptable points I want to play it multiple times.
It works only the first time. When I play a second or subsequent times it does not work any more.

I don't want to reset the current selection (e.g. by pressing CTRL+A) since this would remove the undo and cut point information.
I want to see visually the cut point
GW should simply play the full song as it is - regardless of whether it is selected or not.

How can I achieve this?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Unwanted stop at cut point when playing

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Have you looked into setting one of the playback buttons to "Unselected" mode? That allow you to preview what the file would sound like if the selection was deleted, but without actually deleting it. You can zoom in and adjust the view so that playback starts near the selection, instead of playing from the beginning of the file.
mattad

Post by mattad »

ok, thank you. but what means

"Have you looked into setting one of the playback buttons to "Unselected" mode? "

Which settings do you mean exactly?

Do you mean menu

Options-->Control properties-->Tab 'Play'

....and then?

Currently its here:

Play 1: All
Play 2: Selection
Play 3: Continue to end
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Each playback button can be set to a different function. You can change Play 2 to the "Unselected" function instead of the "Selection" function, for example.
mattad

Post by mattad »

This does not work.

Have a look at the attached snapshot. I assigned 'Unselected' to the second play control.

When I click on it in toolbar then GW starts playing in the unselected part and continues to play INSIDE the selected interval.
So no jump to the second unselected part.

When I delete the selected interval (by pressin g DEL) and immediately afterwards click on Play2 toolbar icon then GW stops playing at the cutpoint.

So any other suggestion?

GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

It seems to be working fine on my computer. Playback skips over the selection. Did you use fast forward or drag the playback marker? If so, that would reset the playback mode. You'll need to let it play. You can zoom in on the selected so that you can see just a bit of the unselected audio on each side (right-click-and-drag to select an area slightly larger than the selection, then choose "Zoom"). That way you won't have to play through the whole file. Playback is confined to what is shown in the view.
mattad

Post by mattad »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:30 pm
Did you use fast forward or drag the playback marker? If so, that would reset the playback mode. You'll need to let it play.
This seems to be the reason:

Yes, I dragged multiple times the playback marker back.
Of cause I need to listen how the music sounds (at the cutpoint) if I would delete the marked interval.
I cannot imagine why there is a reset. If user choose a playback mode (selected or unselected) then it should be kept until the user selects another mode.
Otherwise its useless.

How can I disable the playback mode reset when dragging back the playback marker?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

You'll just need to allow playback to continue and adjust the view as necessary so only part of the file is played rather than move the marker.

There is no way to disable that (what if the user drags the playback marker into the selection, for example, when Unselected mode is active).

There are also keys to start playback just before the selection (Shift+[) and just after the selection (Ctrl+]).
mattad

Post by mattad »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:14 pm
You'll just need to allow playback to continue and adjust the view as necessary so only part of the file is played rather than move the marker.
What do you mean exactly with "allow playback"?

Assume a starting situation like the one in the snapshot above:

1.) Now I press delete key (=the marked interval is deleted) It remains a vertical line at the cut/delete point
2.) Now I want to listen how the song sounds without the marked interval
I click on Control Toolbar Icon 2 "play unselected"
....The song plays ....even beyond the vertical cut line. --->Perfect
3.) I drag the playback marker to the left of the vertical cut line again
Now I click again on Control Toolbar Icon 2 "play unselected"
Now (and in all further attempts GW stops playing at the cut/delete line.

Why?

Why does GW reset the "Play unselected" mode?

Even worse: The vertical cut line should be invisible to GW but just a visual hint to the user.
So there should be no marker or obstacle which stops the playback.
When GW plays the stuff left of the cut/delete line then why not the remaining part right of it?

I don't want to use keys since my brain capacity is too small to remember all the key assignments of my 2345215 programs.
Moreover this would not solve the issue
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If you adjust the view as I mentioned BEFORE pressing the playback button for unselected playback, it works fine. You don't need to drag the playback marker at all. Zooming and scrolling the view once is easier than grabbing the moving playback marker every time.