Is there way to fix "wobbly" sound of old radio?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
alex20850

Is there way to fix "wobbly" sound of old radio?

Post by alex20850 »

I am a big fan of the Gunsmoke radio shows. Some of them sound like their player was losing power with tone and speed going down and back up to normal.
I can submit an example to show what I mean.
Is there anything I can do through GoldWave?
Thanks,
Alex
Tristan

Re: Is there way to fix "wobbly" sound of old radio?

Post by Tristan »

Goldwave can't fix wow and flutter. You'd have to buy another, much more expensive, program to do the job. I think the latest version of Izotope RX has a feature that allows the user to fix wow and flutter.

Incidentally, when in doubt, look in the manual. If it ain't in the manual, it ain't in Goldwave.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Wow & flutter correction isn't mainstream & affordable yet. Capstan is $200 USD to rent for 5 days or $4500 to buy! It's a recently added feature to Izotope RX Advanced ($1000).
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The Flanger effect in GoldWave could be used to correct that problem if it is exactly periodic. However it would take a lot of trial-and-error to get the settings correct. The Doppler effect is another option, but that would be even more time consuming to set up.
stephen22

Post by stephen22 »

Sounds as though it just might be an interesting project, which would need the use of several programs.

If there is a constant background noise of some kind, e.g. whistle or hum, you could isolate it using the Goldwave Noise Reduction - find an obviously wobbly bit, estimate the approximate frequency of the whistle/hum, and see if you can identify it moving to and fro on the spectrum as you slide the cursor across. Delete all the other frequencies ("Use Shape") and see if you have succeded in isolating the whistle/hum. Let me have the result, or just post the original track and I'll try to do it.

I've got some music software (Bidule) which has spectral facilities (which I have never used) which might be able to generate a map of the wobble which could be fed into another piece of software (Kontakt) which has a time machine. If you're game, might be fun to try.
stephen22

Post by stephen22 »

I'm making a pitch tracker in a program called Bidule. Works quite well though still needs some tweaks. If you let me have one of your radio programmes I'll show you what it can do.

(Bidule is a music proram "host" that costs about £100 but you can trial it free for a limited time)