Goldwave Files resets Creation Date on Saving

GoldWave general discussions and community help
John Stock

Goldwave Files resets Creation Date on Saving

Post by John Stock »

Not sure how long this has been happening but at least since 20th Nov after I updated to v6.52
Has anyone else see this?
Or could it be a Windows issue. Perhaps a Windows update not compatible with Goldwave.

John Stock (Goldwave User)
FH991586

Re: Goldwave Files resets Creation Date on Saving

Post by FH991586 »

Which option did you use? "Save" or "Save as"?
John Stock

Post by John Stock »

Always 'Save' on existing files.
FH991586

Post by FH991586 »

I'm afraid I can't help you more...
Does it happen to many type of files? Try it with a WAV and with a MP3 to see if there's a difference. That info might help others...
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

When you save a file, you are not saving over the original directly. A new file is created to preserve the original in case an error occurs or the user cancels saving. GoldWave has always worked that way, so it is curious that you are noticing it only now.
FH991586

Post by FH991586 »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:41 pm
When you save a file, you are not saving over the original directly. A new file is created to preserve the original in case an error occurs or the user cancels saving. GoldWave has always worked that way, so it is curious that you are noticing it only now.
What? :shock:
I'm sorry, but I beg to differ. I've always been using the 5.20 version, and when I save, it replaces the original file (but will keep the original created date within its properties). I really wonder what you are talking about?!
John Stock

Post by John Stock »

This may explain the difference of opinion. I have both phenomena on two seperate drives.

Just to be clear, I am comparing 'Date Modified' with 'Date Created'.

I have hundreds of files on 2 seperate drives. G: is an external drive, Drive D: is a partition of the hard drive.

I discovered this, this morning:
This does NOT happen at all on the external drive (G:). The original Creation Date stays the same - even on a save I've done today (Modified 5-1-2021 12:28, Created 5-12-2020 19:25. I have saved screen dumps to illustrate this if I can send them. All of my recordings since 2010 are on this drive and a good many other older ones (events with a lot of recordings) as well. Which is why I haven't noticed it.

However, this IS happening on the local drive (D:). I have been digitising a lot of old tapes recently which is when I noticed it. Further, as far as I can tell (trawling through a search on hundreds of files) this has only been happening on files modified since around June 2018. This is almost certainly the time the files were 'Moved' to this drive on my present computer. So this phenomenon is peculiar to this drive.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

You can check the properties of the drive to view the file system being used. Does one use NTFS and the other VFAT?
FH991586

Post by FH991586 »

I've used different drives in the past, and there never was a new file created when I simply saved them directly. Otherwise, I'd have a ginormous amount of files in extra, and I'd have noticed it long before!
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave creates a new file when saving. If the file is saved successfully, the original is deleted and the new file is renamed to the original. If there is an error, the original is retained and the incomplete new file is deleted. In either case, there are no extra files.

I believe this issue is related to file system tunnelling. That Windows feature may be disabled now for security reasons.
John Stock

Post by John Stock »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:47 pm

I believe this issue is related to file system tunnelling. That Windows feature may be disable now for security reasons.
I've checked the file system used and its NTFS on both drives. So this does not explain why GoldWave is keeping the original creation date on one drive but resetting it on the other.

The link on 'File System Tunnelling is interesting. Did you mean to say 'be disabled' not 'be disable'?

But the article prompts me to question why is Goldwave not always doing the job of re-setting the new file properties as far as creation date is concerned?
Other programs do it, why doesn't GoldWave?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

John Stock wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:05 pm
I've checked the file system used and its NTFS on both drives. So this does not explain why GoldWave is keeping the original creation date on one drive but resetting it on the other.
GoldWave runs exactly the same regardless of the drive. The question is why is Windows retaining the creation date on one drive and not the other. It's probably caused by a different registry setting for the drive. In any case, GoldWave can no longer rely on Windows to retain the creation date, so that will need to be changed.
John Stock

Post by John Stock »

Not sure if this is the right place to be asking for but, can this be addressed for a fix?

I do a lot of digitising of tape recordings and I find it frustrating that once a file is modified, there is no record of when I created the Goldwave file.

As you know, of the umpteen date categories in Windows for various types of files, 5 of these get populated for Goldwave - Date; Date Created; Date Modified; Date Accessed and Date Last Saved. On my older drive all these are correct. ‘Date’ appears to be the original date the file was made, whereas ‘Date Created’ may be later if it was subsequently copied to another location/drive. On my latest drive, Date; Date Created and Date Modified all show the modified date. As far as I can see, no other programs I use have this problem.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The next update will ensure the creation date is set directly and not rely on Windows.

Also you may want to use File | Information to embed the date in the file itself.
John Stock

Post by John Stock »

Thanks for that.

I put the original recording date in the ‘Date’ in the Information area- (which may be long ago on tapes that are digitised), but I will record the file creation date elsewhere.
As you know the date you enter in the information box appears under ‘Year’ in File Explorer and Windows only shows the actual year (no month or day), but the full value appears in tag editors like MP3 Tag (for compatible files).

Thanks again.