Can't record from 'line in', but line in audio will record on 'What U Hear'.

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Aitch

Can't record from 'line in', but line in audio will record on 'What U Hear'.

Post by Aitch »

Weird one this, and probably not so much to do with Goldwave, but this forum is where the clever audio people are :roll: , so...

In GW I have been successfully using the 'Primary Sound Capture Driver [07E7]' option to record 'line in' audio through my Sound Blaster Audigy 5/RX (using the 'Line in' option led to GW ceasing to record at random intervals).

Yesterday, no audio (on either option). However, I can hear 'line in' audio through my computer's speakers, so the signal is there (therefore no cable/connector problem).

In W10's 'Sound' settings, selecting 'Line in' as default device, the sound level bars show no activity. But if I select 'What U Hear', the 'line in' audio registers in the sound level bars.

In GW, I get nothing when choosing 'Primary Sound Capture Driver' or 'Line in [0845]'.

However, if I select 'What U Hear [06C3]', I can record the 'line in' signal..! (But that means that while recording I daren't use the PC for anything that might generate other audio.)

I have no idea how it is that I can hear audio from the 'line in' input on the computer's speakers, and can even record it as 'What U Hear', but my computer appears oblivious to that signal as far as its 'Line in' recording option is concerned.

AFAIK, I hadn't made any audio settings changes prior to this glitch. I have tried rebooting. In settings> privacy> microphone> access is set 'on' (weird link between that setting and line in audio, I gather). I'm wondering whether reinstalling the SB drivers might reset matters.

I am also wondering whether some other audio device (e.g. I have an Oculus Rift S, and have Steam installed) might have highjacked some setting...

Any ideas glady entertained!

Thanks
Aitch

Re: Can't record from 'line in', but line in audio will record on 'What U Hear'.

Post by Aitch »

Reinstalled sound card drivers. No difference.
Aitch

Re: Can't record from 'line in', but line in audio will record on 'What U Hear'.

Post by Aitch »

Drastic 'solution':
Couldn't sort this out, so tried using System restore. Was a mistake. Selected a recent manual restore point. W10 went through process but only suceeded in corrupting something or other in the OS so PC became unbootable.

Fortunately (i.e. good thinking Batman), I had created an image of the C drive a month or so before (using TrueImage - I highly recommend its use), so was able to restore the C drive. I lost a few Firefox bookmarks, but that was about it (I have a separate data hdd). Only time I've known System restore do damage (or I might have backed-up those Ffox settings).

Line-in and What U Hear are now both functioning correctly, but I still have no idea what caused that glitch.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If you have a "Primary Sound Capture" driver selected in GoldWave, it means you are using the old DirectSound interface. The "Core Audio" interface should be used instead (press the F11 key in GoldWave and choose the System tab to change that). You'd select a "LOOPBACK" device for recording what you hear.

Windows 10 has a habit of updating a perfectly working sound driver, in some cases replacing it with a broken one. Reinstalling the recommended driver from the computer (or sound card) manufacturer may fix the problem.