Saving the artist's name in information while using CD Reader tool (SOLVED)

GoldWave general discussions and community help
FH991586

Saving the artist's name in information while using CD Reader tool (SOLVED)

Post by FH991586 »

Hello,

Something that's been bugging me for a long time is that I can't enter the artist's name as an information while saving music via the CD Reader tool. There's a general field only for ALBUM, YEAR & GENRE, while the title tracks can be named individually in the list below. I don't want to use the "Get Titles" option, because it may too often contain errors or unwanted information in field I have no use (plus the workstation I use is not always online). Whenever I save a complete CD, I must always go back to each track individually and enter the artist's name in the information field, which is time consuming and not fun (still got a couple thousands to go if I ever finish my project)...

What am I missing, here?
Last edited by FH991586 on Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DougDbug

Re: Saving the artist's name in information while using CD Reader tool

Post by DougDbug »

I usually start with the automatic online database (if the disc is in the database). Then when I'm done and I have my MP3s (or whatever finished file/format) I use MP3Tag to edit the tags as necessary. (It works with most audio formats, not just MP3.) You can a select whole folder (i.e an album) and enter/edit all of the common information at once (Artist, Album, Artwork) and then edit the song titles separately. It goes pretty quickly and you can edit the tags for one album while you're ripping the next one.

...For older recordings original released on vinyl or for compilations I try to find the original release year rather than using the year of the CD release that you get from the automatic database.

BTW - For CD ripping I use Exact Audio Copy or CUERipper instead of GoldWave's CD reader because they support AccurateRip which can check your rip against an online database. CUERipper is easier to set up than EAC but I sometimes get failures with CUERipper.
FH991586

Post by FH991586 »

I think you missed the point where I specify being online isn't really a good option, and not wanting to use the whole database...

I'm asking about the Goldwave software capabilities here, since it's their own forum. Not other software.

Also, I'm not saving as MP3. But I didn't specify that, as the interface of the CD Tool doesn't change before choosing the format you save as...

I only need to know where is the option to save the artist's name as default when saving a whole cd, and no other information. Just like for the album's name, year or genre, which fields are right there in plain sight... Or if it just doesn't exist at all, and there is really no other option in Goldwave but to edit the information manually in every file.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

You'll need to include the artist in the Album box with a slash, such as "artist / title". That is the way it is stored in the database.
FH991586

Post by FH991586 »

Thank you very much! This is exactly what I was looking for.
I wished I could have found that info myself long ago, because it's really not intuitive. After all, it's labeled Album, not Artist /Album...