Garbled Audio - "Use DirectSound API" / "Use Core Audio/WASAPI"

GoldWave general discussions and community help
sherman

Garbled Audio - "Use DirectSound API" / "Use Core Audio/WASAPI"

Post by sherman »

When I playback any audio in GoldWave, it stutters, stops, starts going again, is jittery. I can play the same file in Windows Media Player and other media players and a different DAW and it plays fine. So, in Control Properties>>System tab, I changed "Use DirectSound API" to "Use Core Audio/WASAPI" - and it plays back ok. HOWEVER, with that setting, my recording in GoldWave is garbage - almost completely static/noise - here's a sample: https://soundcloud.com/shermanalpert/ga ... eqvtb6Ty5m. I can record and playback just fine in another DAW.
Any clues/fixes?
Thanks!
2leftfeet

Re: Garbled Audio - "Use DirectSound API" / "Use Core Audio/WASAPI"

Post by 2leftfeet »

It is to do with the sampling speed setting. I have "quality" set to 48000/1/32 and shared in the control properties window but your settings may not going to be the same as this. Experiment to find the right one. Hope this helps.
sherman

Post by sherman »

Yes, you're right - it has to do with sampling rate. THANKS!
But, it doesn't seem to make sense - when I click "new" and set the sampling rate for the new file to 48000, it all works fine; if I set the sampling rate to 44100, the recording is garbage; if I set it to higher than 48000, it's garbage.
2leftfeet

Post by 2leftfeet »

I used to have the sample rate set at 44100 until this effect happened and I tried out different rates until 48000 worked. I just leave it set at 48000 now and resample to 44100 if I want to make a CD (nearly never). The issue first appeared when I wanted to stream some live audio off the internet. Glad to have helped.
sherman

Post by sherman »

Thanks again!
You said you "resample to 44100" - do you mean you set the sample rate to 44100 when you save the file?
2leftfeet

Post by 2leftfeet »

I only resample if I am going to make a CD. I just save everything at 48000 for everything now. I only change to 44100 If I want to make files for a CD, I make copies first, resample the copies and save them with a different name. Same thing with making MP3's, copy the original, convert and save with a different name. Usually I make new sub-folders called "MP3" or whatever. Handy to know that you can use the "Info" option to store notes in. Look in the "options"> "main">"toolbar" drop down folder and add "Info" to the main toolbar.
sherman

Post by sherman »

ok, thanks again