Fixing input volume level

GoldWave general discussions and community help
FrankO

Fixing input volume level

Post by FrankO »

I'm having issues with the input volume level in GoldWave after previously using it successfully a few months ago. My setup:

-- GoldWave v6.55 in Windows 10 Pro 19041

-- Audio is from an SDR radio controlled by SDR Console software, which outputs the audio to Virtual Audio Cable by Muzychenko. GoldWave's input is set in Options > Control Properties > Record to the same virtual audio cable line.

When I used this several months ago, everything worked fine with appropriate volume levels. Now, however, if I set SDR Console's audio output and the Windows sound system's setting for the virtual audio cable device both to maximum, the max peak I can get in GoldWave is -28 dB (-2.5 dB being shown as optimal).

I think SDR Console's volume level should be okay, as the volume is strong when I set it to output to the PC's speakers.

Any thoughts on other things to look at? Thanks in advance.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Fixing input volume level

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Is there a reason why you are using the Virtual Audio Cable? Could you use the "Loopback" recording device in GoldWave instead (press F11 key, Device tab). Also the volume may depend on the Windows volume level as well as the volume setting in the Device tab.
FrankO

Post by FrankO »

Thanks for the reply.

In this case I can't use Loopback because there is no Loopback device listed for my audio source, SDR Console. Thus, in order to send audio from SDR Console to GoldWave, I believe I either need to send it through a hardware soundcard, or a virtual audio cable implemented in software.

Let me ask you this. In GoldWave, is the only setting that can be used to affect input volume the slider bar labeled "Volume (dB)" under Control Properties > Record?

GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If you set the SDR console to output audio through your computer's sound hardware, then selecting the LOOPBACK device for recording should work. If there is more than one LOOPBACK device, try each one.

You can use the Windows recording volume setting instead of GoldWave's, if you'd prefer to use the virtual audio cable.
FrankO

Post by FrankO »

Thanks.

Just to clarify my question: Are there any other settings within GoldWave, besides the volume slider in the screen shot above, that can modify the input volume?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Yes, that is the only setting for recording volume in GoldWave. Windows also has the same recording volume setting. Playback volumes may need to be adjusted as well when recording output from another program.