Adding fade in and out to a batch of MP3s?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
terrypin

Adding fade in and out to a batch of MP3s?

Post by terrypin »

I'm using the very handy batch tool for the first time, so...

None of the options shown for fade In and fade out have the short (0.5 or 1.0 s) duration that I want to apply. How can I edit them please?

EDIT: Few mins later. Think I see what I'm asking is probably not possible? Presumably I must somehow get the process to operate on two specified short duration selections at the start and end of each track? If so, how is that done with minimum manual work please?
DougDbug

Re: Adding fade in and out to a batch of MP3s?

Post by DougDbug »

In general, you need to select the audio that you want to "process". When you 1st open a file the whole thing is selected and that's fine if you want to boost the bass on the whole file, etc., but if you apply a fade-in the whole thing will slowly fade-in from the beginning to the end.

Zoom-in to get the detail/resolution you need.

Then you need to select/highlight part you want to fade - left-click to set the start of the selection and right-click to select the end. Once you have have a selection you can click & drag to adjust.
I'm using the very handy batch tool for the first time, so...
If you're new to audio editing you have to learn the terminology* & concepts, plus how to use the software and that's a lot to learn!

* Speaking of terminology... What everybody else calls "normalize", GoldWave calls "maximize". (Maximize is a better English word.) And, GoldWave sometimes gets "compression" and "expansion" so if you ever use the Compressor/Expander effect, start with the presets which do have accurate descriptions.
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks, that's essentially what I'm now doing. But I have about 50 such files and it's a pain to have to edit each one individually. Especially when I know exactly what I want to do to all them.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

To use Fade In/Out in Batch Processing requires setting the selection where the fade is applied. There is a step-by-step example in the manual that describes how to do it under the Process Tab section.