Goldwave cannot open any file

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Fullwave

Goldwave cannot open any file

Post by Fullwave »

The program do not recognize any type of file - "Cannot determine format of file".
I tryed several types of files that I could open in other programs
DougDbug

Re: Goldwave cannot open any file

Post by DougDbug »

Are you saying you can't open a WAV or an MP3?
Supports iTunes, m4a, wav, wma, mp3, ogg, aiff, au, vox, FLAC, and even raw binary data.
Fullwave

Post by Fullwave »

Correct, for every type of file I drag in, I have the error "Cannot determine format of file"
and if I choose to open the file with Goldwave from the Explorer or from the Goldwave File Open, it shows the error "You have no permission to open this file. Contact the administrator to get permissions"

This happens even opening Golwave with administrator rights. Anyway, I am an user with administrator rights
In the properties of the sound files I have all the rights

All the files I tryed open with other multimedia programs including Windows Media Player.
I can´t understand what kind of software witchcraft is this :lol:

Please help
stephen22

Post by stephen22 »

Reinstall Goldwave
Fullwave

Post by Fullwave »

I already did it with a clean unninstal...no way
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Weird... Although GoldWave doesn't support as many formats as some other audio applications it's been around for a long-long-time and it's a very mature and stable program.

You have an unusual problem. This is mostly a user-to-user forum and we don't see official replies from GoldWave everyday here. But you can directly contact GoldWave's developer here.

Did you download directly from GoldWave.com? At one time, somebody was selling a fake "GoldWave", but I haven't seen that for awhile.
Fullwave

Post by Fullwave »

Reinstalled from the original. I think this is a problem from my Windows. The day before I just worked a transpose from a WAV file and saved to mp3 and it worked fine, but suddenly...
Can it be my Advanced System Care from Iobit causing the problem ? It is weird really...
Fullwave

Post by Fullwave »

The problem seems to be solved. Despite I have Administrator permissions, I had to boot as Administrator, and introduce the login and pwd in the Goldwave on that user too, perhaps because I had reinstalled the program to try to solve the problem.

Anyway I never needed to do that, and after all it was working fine. It happened suddenly...

Thanks for all
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Administrator privileges should not be required to use GoldWave. Installation does require elevated privileges temporarily, but the program works as a basic user.

Perhaps you have Controlled Folder Access enabled, which could block GoldWave from opening or saving files.

Or it could be an issue with permissions on the folders themselves. If a folder was created by an administrator account, a basic user account may not have access to it.

Another possibility is defective audio decoders. For some file types (M4A, MP3), GoldWave uses system decoders. If another program installed a broken third-party audio decoder, that may prevent GoldWave from recognizing certain file types. Wave files should still work since GoldWave handles those directly.

Who knows what kind of issues "Advanced System Care" may be causing. Those kinds of programs sometimes cause more problems than they solve.
Fullwave

Post by Fullwave »

Thank you for the answer.
Today it hapened again. I must login as Administrator to work with the program. Golwave always ran smothly. There must be a problem not concernig Goldwave but Windows...

:P Finally!! I restaured the Windows to a previous date when IOBit Driver Booster modified the system. That was the problem, sound related files were modified and adulterated :-((

Thank you all