Noise reduction

GoldWave general discussions and community help
carversmith

Noise reduction

Post by carversmith »

Probably a user error but...
GW V5.06

I have a motor noise in the audio from a video camera (built in mic).

I select a seconds worth of that noise, click on effect/filter/noise reduction and I see the wave form of that noise.
Now if I read it correctly, I go up to edit/select all and the whole wave file is selected. And now if I go back to the noise reduction screen, that one second is clean beautifully and the wave shape is clean, but I can't get it to "apply" to the whole 55 minutes of audio.

Some step or something is missing or the way I read it.

Thanks
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Noise reduction

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The "Apply" button is used only for previewing. The graph shows a spectral analysis of the sound at the start marker's position (not the noise clip). The beginning of the file is probably silence, which is why it looks clean. You can use the scroll bar below the graph to see the analysis at a different time.

To use the clipboard for noise reduction, choose the "Use clipboard" envelope option, then choose OK to begin processing.

Chris
almo

Post by almo »

Another Noise reduction issue:

I'm using GW 5.06 for archiving LP records.

Some of my recordings have a background mechanical rumble. The noise reduction filter seems to be over agressive. I've tried using both Clipboard noise print as well as the other 'envelope' options. Am I missing something?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Noise reduction

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

You can use the Scale setting to lower the aggressiveness.

If the background noise is loud, then you may need to experiment with other filters, such as low/highpass, bandpass/stop, equalizer, or smoother.

Chris
carversmith

An impression

Post by carversmith »

Thanks Chris for you input on my usability problem, BUT,
If I clip some motor noise from a quiet placeat the beginning, put it in the clip board, Select ALL for the whole file, click effect/filter,noise reduction, OK,
and it takes 20 minutes to process a 1 hour piano and violin audio tape,
then do a save as.
I swear the whole file was not processed. I have noise in the second half of the tape. I cliped noise from the second half anf processed the whole tape and it was still ther.
Am I still doing something wrong?

Thanks
Carver
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: An impression

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If the motor noise changes over time (in volume or pitch), you may have to split the file into sections, then process each section separately using a different clipboard noise sample copied from each section.

Chris