Quality of Cable Box Audio

GoldWave general discussions and community help
mattriv

Quality of Cable Box Audio

Post by mattriv »

Hi Everybody,

I have the audio outputs of my cable tv box connected to the microphone jack of my computer. The music I record this way with GoldWave sounds horrible compared to the music I have copied from my CD's using Windows Media Player. For example, I have copied a song from a CD with WMP, and recorded the same song from a cable music channel with GoldWave and the song from the CD sounds a million times better. Is there a way to fix this?

One of the cable channels I listen to has been playing a song that doesn't seem to be for sale anywhere. I'd really like to get a decent recording of it.

Thanks,
Matt
mattriv

Quality of Cable Box Audio - More Info

Post by mattriv »

In case you are wondering, my computer does not have a line-in jack. It's a brand-new top-of-the-line Compaq laptop with a zillion ports on it, but no line-in.
Stiiv

recording from the cable box

Post by Stiiv »

Sounds like a USB audio interface might be what you're looking for. Also, you should experiment with getting the cable audio from your VCR or DVD rather than directly from the converter.
Stiiv
mattriv

Post by mattriv »

Thanks Stiiv. I didn't know USB could do audio.

Getting the audio directly out of the cable box works fine. I hooked it up to one of my old computers that has a line-in jack and it works well. I like to have things for my old computers to do, so that's where I'm going to run GoldWave.

If I ever need to use the new computer, I'll get a USB device.

Thanks again,
Matt