GoldWave and Multiquence; WinVista 64 bit

General discussions and questions about MULTIQUENCE
JeffBTX

GoldWave and Multiquence; WinVista 64 bit

Post by JeffBTX »

Okay - I have installed and registered GoldWave and Multiquence, and "installed" the Lame DLL into GoldWave and Multiquence, and "installed" bbMPEG into Multiquence.

Basically - NO PROBLEMS NOTED - Goldwave and Multiquence seem to be working just fine under WinVista Home Premium 64 bit. I *was* concerned somewhat about Lame, and more concerned with the bbMPEG DLL, because it had apparantly been some time since it had been compiled, and I was worried about 64 bit OS compatibility. If anyone else has been wondering about installing all of this into the 64 bit Vista OS, it seems to work just fine.

I loaded a relatively long mono WAV file that had been encoded at 88 bps, resampled it to 44100 bps, and saved it as a mono 44100 MP3. Plays JUST FINE in Windows Media Player 11.

I took a long WAV file that was already stereo 44100 bps, and simply saved it as an MP3 - NO problems.

For Multiquence, I used a Ray Tracer to generate a sequence of .PNG files; figured out how to get them into Multiquence, and how to save a .MPG file (not bad for having installed multiquence only about an hour or so ago). First stumbling block was that the video was "choppy" - then I found out how to alter the "display time" for images; I could load the FIRST image into a section, change the display time from 1.0 to 0.1, AND select the checkmark to specify -> "all new images use this display time", THEN load the rest of the images. Worked a lot better. Then I did it over again... I MANUALLY altered the display time in that particular selection window from 0.1 to 0.050... the resulting MPEG was even smoother. I am sure there are better ways of animating something like this (taking a series of individual images and turning them into a movie) - but so far my "stumbling in the dark" is working. IF ANYONE has any tips or advice for me in this area, it would be greatly appreciated - this is what I will mainly be using Multiquence for; animating images generated from a Ray Tracer, and in principle it is similar to the way cartoons used to be produced, I guess.

The learning curve is steep, as there are a lot of technical options / settings that i do not understand yet (eventually of course this will change).

In Windows Vista Media Player 11, there seems to be a short "black frame" / "short stutter" at the end of the movie if I set the Player to loop the movie. This effect is lessened (actually practically eliminated) if I disable "ENCODE AUDIO" and "MULTIPLEX AUDIO" when saving to video, resulting in a simple .M1V file. I suspect that this is simply a characteristic of Windows Media Player, it has never been the best for viewing Raytraced animations meant to be played as *LOOPS*; but if anyone has any insight, please advise.

At present, I have not played with adding a soundtrack to a RayTraced animation (I just have to work myself through the learning curve). I anticipate that the main problems will be producing and assembling sound effects into the right length and getting at all synced with the video.

I played with re-doing the movie (both as an .M1V and an .MPG) with various settings and options. Most of the time, I got a post-processing warning when saving as an MPG, and somehow managed to get rid of the warning once (but I don't remember how I did it?!?); I "Saved the Messages" to text files, and this is the warning at the end of the (long) .TXT messages:
NOTE: The resulting file may not play back correctly.
Try increasing the mux rate.
Also there were lines in the .TXT file such as these:
audio PTS underflow at pack 15 by 0.08ms
video DTS (213.37ms) underflow at pack 33 by 2325.09ms
and
23 video underflows (SCR >= PTS or DTS)
1 audio 1 underflows (SCR >= PTS)

I realize that it is up to me to learn about this, this forum is not the place for providing an in-depth education in how to produce video; but if anyone has a quick/simple/general explanation for those warnings, I would appreciate it.

I am *extremely* pleased with both GoldWave and Multiquence, and *will* suggest both of these products in other forums.

- Thanks
- Jeff