GoldWave bugs

Discussions for GoldWave plug-in development
Mistake

GoldWave bugs

Post by Mistake »

Bugs founded in Goldwave 6.52:

1. When you set axes numbering (Options->Window-Axes numbering) to Signed 16 bit (-32768 to 32767) you will see wrong values in bottom panel. For example, sample with actual level -32768 will be shown as -32767, sample with level +32767 will be shown as +32766.
For 16 bit audio file it can happens when used incorrect multiplier 32767 = (2^15)-1 for rounding
Current code: DrawValue = round(NormalizedSample*32767)
Correct code: DrawValue = round(NormalizedSample*32768)
where NormalizedSample = Sample/32768, for 16 bit audio file.
And yes, I want to see correct values.

2.Control window able to show spectrum of signal. Lower frequency limit shows as '0', but actual value is 20 Hz, even if I set frequency range from 0 Hz. For any value below 20 Hz spectrum shows from 20 Hz but digit '2' just didn't drawn.
And again, can you normalize FFT output values (including applied FFT window) to put 0 dBFS sine wave to 0dB ?
Do do it (for real signals) you need just double absolute value of FFT output. Now you discard negative frequencies and lost half of amplitude.
Next, if you apply FFT window you need normalize window in next way (MATLAB code):
W = hann(N);
W = W ./ sum(W) * N;

3. Sometimes when I play track using 'F2/F3' or 'H' and try to apply any effect then main window freezes and I can't stop applying effect or stop playing until playing stops by itself. For long track need to wait long time to unfreeze main window or crash program.
Last edited by Mistake on Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tristan

Re: GoldWave bugs

Post by Tristan »

(Chris, envy will always be the sincerest form of flattery.)

File under 'I've Spent Five Minutes With The Demo, And Now I Know More Than The Rest Of You Put Together' or 'You Should Have Listened To Me When You Had The Chance, You Fools'.

Regarding effect application, Mistake, you're the first poster I've seen who's had a problem applying effects in Goldwave. People with very little technical sophistication have succeeded where you have, apparently, failed. It sounds like you're making things unnecessarily complicated for yourself. Or perhaps you just have very little experience with Goldwave, or even with audio editing programs generally. I suspect the latter.

At any rate, I assume you're trying to apply integrated effects, and not VSTs? Because VSTs can be buggy, even under the best of circumstances.

I've never tried to apply an effect, integrated or otherwise, on-the-fly in Goldwave. I stop playback, open an effect module, adjust settings, do a review, then apply the effect. After closing the effect module, playback always resumes normally. I've never had a crash or freeze (EXCEPT with VSTs -- kids, be forewarned). That's the result when one's experience goes beyond spending a few minutes with the evaluation download.

Regarding your other "bugs", Mistake, I have no comment, other than it's unlikely I would have ever noticed them if you hadn't pointed them out (and will, no doubt, eventually forget them again). I've calibrated Izotope RX against GoldWave for noise profiles because Goldwave gives me much more precise spectral values than RX does. If you really want numbers, Goldwave will give them to you.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

I want to point out that my response was based on the OP's original post, which has since been edited by the OP. My feeling is that, once someone has responded to your post, the ethical thing to do is just live with it, and make any revisions/explanations in a subsequent post. That is all.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

1. Older versions of GoldWave rounded correctly. Unfortunately the 64 bit development tools are very inefficient with rounding and that still has not improved yet, so we cannot us it. We are looking into alternatives.

2. Yes, the "2" in "20" is clipped so that it doesn't overlap the "-100" on the Y axis. We'll see if that can be improved and we'll check into normalizing the spectrum.

3. Could you provide more information. We are not seeing that kind of a problem.
Mistake

Post by Mistake »

1. It looks this 'problem' more deep than I expect. Hope you got success with tools.

2. One more minor drawing issue: in spectrum GoldWave shows level under cursor. When level jumps for neighbor points from '-100.00' to '-6.02' character '-' from '-100.00' didn't hided. Because string length '-100.00' longer than '-6.02'. So, if you will do axes improvements check it also please.
About window normalizing: before I wrote how to normalize window, same thing can be done just by applying gain to FFT output for spectrum drawing. This gain depends on selected window and calculated as: G = 2 * N / sum(W). Where multiplier 2 required if you discard negative frequencies.
Flattop window is very usable for analysis, may be you add it? Better more windows.

3. I have no doubt I has this issue, because I can't stop playing or effect until I kill GoldWave process. Unfortunately I still can't remember and repeat my steps to get it again. Most of time it works stable.

Thanks a lot!
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The next update will address most of these.

Post by 934552189 »

The effect chart of the effect chain of version 6.55 cannot be displayed normally!!
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Effect chains are working on my system. Can you provide more information? Do some chains you've created cause errors? You may need to recreate those chains.