Some features I would like to see...

Discussions for GoldWave plug-in development
proent

Some features I would like to see...

Post by proent »

Hi, first of all I would like to say that I have been using Goldwave for about 4 years now and I absolutely love it for mixing -- there is nothing better. I have tried just about all of the other audio editing programs out there and I just always have just prefer using Goldwave. I like to consider myself a “Goldwave Master” because I sometimes can "read" the waves like Neo in the Matrix and know exactly where to mix because I have been experimenting with Goldwave for so long. However, I find Cool Edit (Adobe Audition) more easy to add vocal effects to a capellas rather than Goldwave's DFX for some reason…. but I don't like how the multi track mixing option is on Cool Edit Pro.

I find it much easier to use Goldwave to mix an acapella or sample perfectly on beat into an instrumental or for layering an a capella because of the mix option which allows you hit hear a preview and then you can adjust it to the exact millisecond making it perfect every time. Although sometimes I over-do the previews and my goldwave has an Error and I get one last chance to save my project before it crashes, because it will just freeze up if I do a playback.. (Also a problem I would like to see fixed if possible…?)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways I would like to know if it would be possible to create a new "Layer" feature added to goldwave, much like that Adobe Photoshop has (For Image Editing.) ((I am also a graphic artists and find Image Editing very similar to Audio Editing, except its like painting sounds with Wavs.))

This new “Layer Option” could be used so that if you were mixing an a capella over an instrumental, in the end you could save either the whole sound or select the Layer only of the a capella. This could also be used for a possible Surround sound option if you guys ever add that feature, so one could isolate certain layers and make them in separate channels… but that may require more memory usage...

Example:

or some other form of layering? with a side tool bar perhaps?

This new feature would also improve peoples sessions because after you mix it in gold wave, there is no way of taking it out of the instrumental, unless you still have it open and you can undo it..

However I have found many alternative ways to doing this myself- this new feature would make it much easier.

Another idea I thought would be good for Goldwave is a “Reverse Mix” option where you could select a wav or part of a wav and then instead of inserting the time where to mix, you would enter the ENDING TIME where the audio would stop at… but that is not all as important as I would like to see the Layer Option added..

Also I would like to see a SAVE PROJECT feature where the user could SAVE their project and have it save the Layers also so that anyone could go back and resume where he left of, also again much like Adobe photoshop and cool edit and microsoft Word has. And if possible with an Auto Save Feature on Crash so you may resume, although most of the other audio editors already have this feature and it would seem like you are just adding this feature to copy them - but in reality it would only make your program more usefully and reliable for the users.

Please consider these and respond to what you think of these concepts and what you think might be possible to program into goldwave from these. I understand you might not even be able to create any of these and I just thought Id like to share my 2 cents..

Thank you for your time and services and most of all.. thank you for creating Goldwave!!

--blur

:oops:
Last edited by proent on Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Some features I would like to see...

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Some people have reported an error with mixing, but it seems to be rare. I've been gathering information whenever possible, but I have not seen the error first hand yet, making a fix elusive. If you know of certain settings that cause the error more frequently, let me know.

The "Layer Option" is similar to the way multitrack editors work (like Multiquence). Although the waveforms are not drawn directly on top of each other, they are layered in separate tracks where they can be easily aligned by dragging-and-dropping sections. Layers/tracks are saved separately as well.

I doubt that layering will be added to GoldWave, but it might be possible to add a "time where mix will end" option to the Mix window for the "reverse mix" idea you mentioned.

Chris
proent

Post by proent »

OK thank you so much for your insight and fast reply.

I get an error when mixing often if i hit Preview (f4) too many times .. like say more than 20 in a row..

usually i have Several different audio files open with Goldwave at the same time... and when i have had goldwave open a while...

i have a pretty good pc with 3ghz of ram so im not sure why it crashes..

i dont think i have had this problem as much with the newer version of goldwave though

usually it will freeze or have an error i cant remember- but then I can still save it but if i go to do playback to mix anything it will have another error and then freeze completely- and you cannot save your work and you have to manually END TASK to even close it..
Last edited by proent on Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
proent

Post by proent »

Well could it be possible program Goldwave to
have an option to set Goldwave a "Multiquence
track mixer mode" with the same 'Preview' style mix that Goldwave currently has
that still mixes in its destructive raw Wav
editing but after you click OK it actually goes
to the a new project?

That way one could mix On beat with precision
and also have a removable type copy of it, if one was mixing - for example, say an
a capella to an instrumental..

I just LOVE Goldwave's non linear
editing because you are so free- and not constrained by quantizers.. But I would really
love a feature where I could preview the mix
so i could mix exactly how i want, but not have it actually mix INTO the other project..

Because I really don't like the
Mult-track mixers on other programs..
and find myself having to just use goldwave
to get the perfect mixes even though it mixes directly into the project and is undo-able... *sigh*

Is there anything like this possible to create
for Goldwave?

P.S. - i have found several hackarounds
to achieve this one way being to mix into
one of the two pans, and then copying it and making it stereo again but, if you try to do
this with audio that is already stereo it
makes it mono which is not always what I
want..

--
SIDE NOTE:

i still use Goldwave almost everyday playing around with it trying to figure out new features and things I can do with it..

I found a nice little trick where you Copy a selection of the wav...and then mix at a volume of -80 into another wave - so it then mixes but only at a volume of -80 so you cant hear it but...it will selects the exact length of the copied audio

also you can Copy the Exact MILLISECONDS in the MIX.. for example 00:00:01.89152 whilst still having audio copied to clipboard so you can go back and hit mix and paste exactly to the right spot!

this method could be used this if you wanted to do the slow down Doppler effect or echo on a certain part but dont want to go off beat with the extended tail that it creates..

by simply select the part>slow it down or echo it and then fade it out if you want > COPY > UNDO > UNDO > MUTE > THEN HIT MIX>OK
It will mix the new audio of echo or slowed down effect in the exact location it was before-- but the tail effect if any will just continue into the audio and remain the same length - try it out!
Last edited by proent on Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

You could use Edit | Copy then Edit | Paste New to create a new window where you can mix without altering the original file.

The Edit | Marker | Store/Recall Selection Positions commands may be useful as well. If you hold down the Ctrl key while using those commands, you can select the same time range in one window that you've selected in another.

Chris
proent

Post by proent »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:You could use Edit | Copy then Edit | Paste New to create a new window where you can mix without altering the original file.

The Edit | Marker | Store/Recall Selection Positions commands may be useful as well. If you hold down the Ctrl key while using those commands, you can select the same time range in one window that you've selected in another.

Chris
Thanks for the speedy reply once again, however I already knew about the Paste new option...
But I would like to Mix an acapella, possibly with several cuts
perhaps bar by bar.. "onto" an instrumental track so i could have it
exactly on beat- as a guide pretty much.

But then.. be able to save JUST the newly on-beat acapella
Separately (not mixed into the instrumental)
^for various usages

I guess what I am asking to put it simply -more less is:

it possible that Goldwave might have a multi-track or something
like MULTIQUENCE with it's current H:M:S:MS mixing and destructive Waveform editing capabilities anytime in the future versions?

Because I don't really
like the Exact-ness of the other Multi sequencer Wav editors..
I prefer Goldwave's Mix method- where you can Preview it and
enter Exact Time code..

OK I realize my new "layer" idea posted 1 yr ago was a bit far fetched

but could you somehow make Multiquence intereactive with
Goldwave or somehow bridge the two into a
"Platinum-Wave", if you will?

If not I guess I can keep dreaming and doing It the hard way..

But I might be able to achieve what I was asking with the Cue options i never thought of that..I shall have to try it out

--

EDIT: by the way on the previous post, I mean mix at a volume of -80.0DB (or somthing not audible) not 0...

------------------
Thanks again
Goldwave = #1

--Blur
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

A future version of GoldWave will support more than 2 channels (but won't really be multitrack) and the future version of Multiquence will have more effects, but there are no plans to merge both programs.

In Multiquence, you can move a section to an exact time by using the Edit | Move command, but you'd have to close the window to preview it.

Chris