Noise Reduction/Clipboard Noise Print

Discussions for GoldWave plug-in development
tattered frenzy

Noise Reduction/Clipboard Noise Print

Post by tattered frenzy »

I was trying to fix some audio from an old VHS of my Grandmother (20 year old tape). It has a static like noise that is very loud (almost as loud as her talking). I've read to try the clipboard noise print. This worked as it made the static drop and her words very clear, however it left an underwater robotic type slurping sound between every word. How about an option to zero out the volume from the noise print (useful for spoken not music) instead of reducing it which makes the horrible sound. I'm trying other audio editors as well trying to get something that sounds good and most of them that I've seen have the same problem with their noise print. I've even tried selecting the noise print and using it on the same section and it leaves this noise.

Anyone know of a fix for this or will I have to go between every word and -the volume manually (2 hour tape lol) ?
Kummel

Post by Kummel »

First step, try the pop/click if ever it reduces the static, but that is not sure on this kind of source.

To get a sound less robotic, try various fft sizes and overlap combination, and reduce eventually the scale in the denoiser.

In compressor/expander, you should try, over your denoised sound, the noise gate settings, adjust the threshold to get the remaining noise drastically reduced, and the timing set at shortest. It might improve things a little bit.
:D
tattered frenzy

Err.

Post by tattered frenzy »

Unfortunately The Pop/Click made it choose her to quiet amongst the static sound.

It seems that everything I tried including your suggestions targeted her voice and the static remained unchanged or she turned robotic with the noise gone.

Fortunately I tried LP (Record) hiss noise reduction with the values raised slightly in Nero Waveditor and while it isn't completely clear I would say it is probably 70% better than the original.

I'll try out Goldwave for something else if the trial period doesn't run out before I get a chance to really try using it. I still leave that suggestion about having the ability to zero volume (add silence) to noise print as this would have left the sound exceptional. I would've found it an awesome program if it did this as I have to redo about 100 VHS movies my mom found lol.

Thanks for trying to help me out though.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Noise Reduction/Clipboard Noise Print

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

There is only so much you can do when the noise is almost as loud as the voice. Try increasing the FFT size and lowering the Scale setting a bit.

Also try using the "Voice hum and hiss filter" Bandpass/stop effect preset before using Noise Reduction filter to see if that helps at all.

Chris