Goldwave for Linux?

Discussions for GoldWave plug-in development
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The BorderStyle error seems to be caused by something in VCL (developed by Borland/CodeGear). I have not found any explanation, but other programs seem to be affected as well (search on Google for "error reading BorderStyle violation user32"). If I knew what to tweak, I probably would, but it may be something in Wine that needs to be tweaked.

Chris
AndrewTheArt

Post by AndrewTheArt »

There doesn't seem to be any definitive answers on the Web, either - and most of the discussions related to it are in Russian or Arabic. Oh well - guess I'll report a bug to Wine :)

Here are some relevant developer discussions on BorderStyle and WINE errors...

http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-bu ... 31759.html
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-bu ... 31721.html
~Andrew
AndrewTheArt

Post by AndrewTheArt »

I am pleased to announce that Wine 9.49 runs GoldWave with almost no problems at all now. You could effectively package Wine with your app and now market it to Linux users now... :)
~Andrew
AndrewTheArt

Post by AndrewTheArt »

I guess I spoke a little too soon. On my machine at least, almost all files open, but when you attempt to open a mp3 file, it says "cannot determine type of file". On the console I get a wine error of

Code: Select all

err:quartz:GetClassMediaFile Media class not found
ogg, wav, etc files all see to open. I didn't have this problem with older Wine versions.

Any ideas, Chris? Looks likes you changes up some of the file type determining code.

Goodbye, Audacity and hello GoldWave (again!)
~Andrew
AndrewTheArt

Post by AndrewTheArt »

I'd like to add that the new fix for the Vista help mechanism (.chm or whatever) also throws some errors in Wine.
~Andrew
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I'm not sure why there'd be a problem opening MP3 files, but GoldWave uses the MP3 Audio Compression Manager module bundled with Windows for decoding MP3 files. That module may have to be installed separately in Wine. Installing LAMEACM.ACM may help.

CHM help files have been around long before Vista, so any errors viewing the help is a bit of a mystery.

Chris
jengelh

Post by jengelh »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:I'm not sure why there'd be a problem opening MP3 files, but GoldWave uses the MP3 Audio Compression Manager module bundled with Windows for decoding MP3 files.
Did Win98SE even come with such? I seem to remember running GW4 over there having no issue with mp3, yet doubt that the MP3 ACM was already there.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The MP3 decoder is installed with Windows Media Player, which you'd have to download and install separately.

Chris