The Goldwave License+ What If...

Discussions for GoldWave plug-in development
ghostvoice27

The Goldwave License+ What If...

Post by ghostvoice27 »

From what I can understand, the lifetime licenses can work on any Goldwave platform from now to whenever. Alright, but what if one day GoldWave Inc. decided to expand into the Max OS X platforms, will the lifetime license still work? Just a thought.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: The Goldwave License+ What If...

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

It really depends on how expensive it is to port GoldWave to the Mac. If the development costs are high, then a different license may be required to offset those costs. If it just involves recompiling the existing code with minor changes, then the same license will work. It also depends on whether or not the Mac market is large enough to cover the extra development costs. I would guess that the small percentage of users switching from Windows to Mac would be negligible, so it would depend entirely on the market. The administration hassle of having different licenses for each platform is something I'd prefer to avoid too.

Chris
ghostvoice27

Post by ghostvoice27 »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:It really depends on how expensive it is to port GoldWave to the Mac. If the development costs are high, then a different license may be required to offset those costs. If it just involves recompiling the existing code with minor changes, then the same license will work. It also depends on whether or not the Mac market is large enough to cover the extra development costs. I would guess that the small percentage of users switching from Windows to Mac would be negligible, so it would depend entirely on the market. The administration hassle of having different licenses for each platform is something I'd prefer to avoid too.

Chris
Excuse me Chris, since we're on the topic,Does Gold Wave Inc have an expectancy to how many users that have a Mac Os Platform?

Based off from W3 Schools.com statistics, currently Mac Users on in the 8 percent range. Although there is a large amount of Users for Window 7 and Windows XP, the mac users are steadily increasing since 2003.http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

Now if the company would have to say if they were to branch out, would there have to be at least 20% or 15% at least of Mac Users to have the company of even thinking of extending the GoldWave to the Mac Os platform?

The answer doesn't have to be definite, but perhaps a statement.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

New development tools from Embarcadero will be released soon that are rumoured to support x64 and Mac OS X (but 32 bit). Creating a 64 bit version of GoldWave will be my first priority. After that I'll look into a Mac OS X version. I can't make any definite plans until I've had time to evaluate the new tools. I'm also experimenting with mobile apps (Android/iPhone).

Chris
ghostvoice27

Post by ghostvoice27 »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:New development tools from Embarcadero will be released soon that are rumoured to support x64 and Mac OS X (but 32 bit). Creating a 64 bit version of GoldWave will be my first priority. After that I'll look into a Mac OS X version.
Oh this is so epic winning right now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QS0q3mGPGg
As a current Mac OS X user, this brings a little hope for the future. Thanks Chris. :D
ghostvoice27

Post by ghostvoice27 »

Hi Chris. I was just curious if there has been any progress to a Mac OSX yet.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I'm afraid not, but I've started work on the 64 bit version of GoldWave. I'm releasing one final 32 bit update first, then focusing on 64 bit for all future updates. A Mac versions requires redesigning GoldWave's entire user interface (switching from VCL to FireMonkey). Right now FireMonkey just isn't mature enough for that. VideoMeld uses FireMonkey, which required a lot of workarounds.

Chris