How do I get started in simple plugin development?

Discussions for GoldWave plug-in development
Ben321

How do I get started in simple plugin development?

Post by Ben321 »

I'd like to make a plugin for Goldwave. Is there a place with a simple tutorial, or a place where I can read about the Goldwave API functions?
Tristan

Re: How do I get started in simple plugin development?

Post by Tristan »

What kind of plug-in are you talking about? Direct X (which nobody uses anymore)? VST2? Goldwave only supports 32-bit VST2, and Chris posted that he has no plans to offer 64-bit VST2 support, since he doesn't think his customer base are interested in VST capability. Chris is probably right. And now plug-in devs are moving on to VST3.

I don't care, because I just use Goldwave for basic housekeeping tasks. I don't need 3rd-party plugins. I use those in other audio editors.

If you want to make plug-ins, make them for something like Reaper or Studio One. Otherwise, I just wouldn't bother, because -- and I'm not saying this to be mean to Chris -- you're not going to get the support you'd like from the program dev.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
Ben321

Post by Ben321 »

Tristan wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:21 pm
What kind of plug-in are you talking about? Direct X (which nobody uses anymore)? VST2? Goldwave only supports 32-bit VST2, and Chris posted that he has no plans to offer 64-bit VST2 support, since he doesn't think his customer base are interested in VST capability. Chris is probably right. And now plug-in devs are moving on to VST3.

I don't care, because I just use Goldwave for basic housekeeping tasks. I don't need 3rd-party plugins. I use those in other audio editors.

If you want to make plug-ins, make them for something like Reaper or Studio One. Otherwise, I just wouldn't bother, because -- and I'm not saying this to be mean to Chris -- you're not going to get the support you'd like from the program dev.
Bare-bones plugin, no GUI. Fewest possible lines of code that will just get it to work in Goldwave. Just run it and it will have an immediate effect on the signal.

I'm not talking about VST plugins. I'm talking about Goldwave's own plugin interface.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

There is an SDK but this post says it's not up to date.

P.S.
I hate to mention the "competition" but Audacity has Nyquist for making simple plug-ins and since Audacity is open source so you should be able to program anything you want .

Or, I'm sure there is tons of information about making VST effects.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave now supports a new plug-in system called PION. It is very easy to get started.

Chris