Monitoring during recording?? With multiple channels mixed?

General discussions and questions about MULTIQUENCE
djduffy

Monitoring during recording?? With multiple channels mixed?

Post by djduffy »

I'm doing a multi-track recording. The idea is to record two vocal tracks, and two different ambience tracks. The vocal tracks will come from headsets. The ambience will be from two different contexts [multi-player video games actually].

So, the idea is for each person to hear the other person's vocals and their own game context audio.

Is there a way to set this up in Multiquence?
I've tried to set this up in Adobe Audition 1.0, and the recording is fine, and I can hear the mix when I play the recordings back... but there is no monitoring. And this is a problem since I'm using USB audio devices, so I can't just get a hardware mixer and mix the monitoring I need in analog outside the computer...

The monitoring issue is important here. That's the whole point actually. Other than collecting all the sound to edit later [into a video actually], the point is to mix the sound so the players can hear each other. Can Multiquence mix and produce the monitoring live as the recording is done?
Nothing fancy, just volume control on each input and add them together. No fancy effects. But the voice channels are mono, and game audio is stereo, so mono->stereo*vol + game*vol => monitoring to a headset...
and a set of different channels to the other headset...

Thanks much,

djd
djduffy

Ah ha, I see now.... Not possible....

Post by djduffy »

aaaaaahhh hhhaaaaa

I see now. It's not possible to monitor the recording in "digital format" without introducing a delay. Buffering or packet delay.. Minimum of one sample [which might be acceptible] but more likely several 10's of ms at least, which is unacceptible.

So basically, it's not possible....

I understand....

djd