saving tracks from an lp

GoldWave general discussions and community help
coonsanders

saving tracks from an lp

Post by coonsanders »

hi guys
ive been trying to split music files from an lp mthat i saved though goldwave....heres what i do..i play the entire lp as a
whole file.then i open up the lp in goldwave then i use thoes lines to mark where i want to split up the files.then i go to
"copy to" and name the tunes title and do this for the entire lp...what i get are files that have 3 tunes in them instead of
the one tune that should be in there..maybe i should be hitting "save as" instead of "copy to"?what do u think?thanks..

lenny
Gord

Re: saving tracks from an lp

Post by Gord »

I believe that the more common approach is to

- record the entire side of the album and clean it up as required (noise reduction, pop/click, ...).

- create Cue Points at the beginning of each track (perhaps via the "Auto Cue" feature),

- then use

Edit > Cue Point > Split File...

to split the big "side" file into smaller "track" files at each cue point.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

There is a tutorial in Appendix D in the GoldWave manual (Help | Manual) for LP recording that you may find useful as well.

Chris
coonsanders

Post by coonsanders »

hi chris

thanks but ive decieded to put that on hold for now...thanks..

lenny
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I just select/highlight the song, Copy, and Paste New. Now I have the song as a separate file that I can save using the song title as the file name. (And I can trim the ends if necessary.)
- record the entire side of the album and clean it up as required (noise reduction, pop/click, ...).
I do that too, but I usually combine both sides into one file first. I makes it easier to give the whole album the same "treatment".
coonsanders

Post by coonsanders »

hi doug

you use "copy" and "paste now"?when i did it i did everything but paste new...and using this saved the track?my problem seems to be well i say i record an lp and the first tune was say "whispering"(this is the actual name)anyway when i try to
copy it and name its tital the tune was actually another song also on the same lp but i hadent gotten to yet..but i didnt use
the paste new then..

lenny
coonsanders

Post by coonsanders »

thanks doug..

lenny
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

I've done a LOT of LP's...a lot of them. So many in fact I could probably write the killer tutorial on how to transfer LP's in to a PC for output to CD based just on memory alone......

...but that's one secret I'm not giving away.

Anyway...I've switched methods over the years...but I'll give you both of them.

Old Method:

Select a track of the LP, select Copy To, save the file, hit delete on the wave. Select next portion/track, copy to, save, delete...repeat till you're down to your last track.

The reason I delete after using the Copy To is so I never got lost when splitting the file up...I knew it was always the first section of the wav. I never hit Save so the original waveform was never overwritten. When done, I had a split up file.

New Method:

Place a cue point at 00:00:00. Place cue at each track change. Use split file in Cue Tools to split. If going with 44.1/16 I use the option about placing on CD Boundries so when burned to CD the layout is preserved. If going to something other than that, I don't concern myself with making sure the track alignment is on boundries.

The new method seems to work the best, plus you can save your CUE sheet for use later if needed.
coonsanders

Post by coonsanders »

hay doug

its amazing how guys will find a way to accomplish stuff with these softwares.for me the first way was the easiest way
to save and seperate tracks at this point..thanks 4 the tips.i just used it to save this jazz lp and it worked out very well.just out of curiousity whats your music of choise?

lenny
teresap989

Post by teresap989 »

coonsanders wrote:hi doug

you use "copy" and "paste now"?when i did it i did everything but paste new...and using this saved the track?my problem seems to be well i say i record an lp and the first tune was say "whispering"(this is the actual name)anyway when i try to
copy it and name its tital the tune was actually another song also on the same lp but i hadent gotten to yet..but i didnt use
the paste new then..

lenny
I also think so.thanks
coonsanders

Post by coonsanders »

hi fellas

yea i used to save tracks from lps one by one manuelly..it was time consuming and it could ruin both stylus and record..now its easier thanks to doug and less time consuming.the only nlittle issue is sometime i dont seperate the vtunes cleanly..what
i mean is i seperate the tracks to close to the end of the preseading song and it has no ending...

lenny
Gord

Post by Gord »

Segues are an analog thing. In the digital world you have to just pick the "best" spot where track [n] stops and track [n+1] begins.
coonsanders

Post by coonsanders »

amen...

lenny