right-click, "Open With"

GoldWave general discussions and community help
mathyou9

right-click, "Open With"

Post by mathyou9 »

I like being able to right-click a file and "Open With" GoldWave. More often than not, there are times that I'd like to open a 2nd file from the same folder. Opening the file through GoldWave and having to navigate through a bazillion subfolders can be a hassle when right-clicking and "Open[ing] With" GoldWave is so much quicker. However, a brand-new instance of GoldWave gets lauched for the 2nd file. It would be so much more beneficial if right-clicked files were opened in an already-running instance of GoldWave instead.

Is this a Windows issue that I can address locally on my machine? Or would this "fix" be something performed (if even possible) on GoldWave's end?
Gord

Re: right-click, "Open With"

Post by Gord »

Since GoldWave is already open you can just drag the file from the Explorer window and drop it onto the GoldWave window. If the GoldWave window is not visible you have at least two options:

1. Drag the file down to the GoldWave entry on the Windows Taskbar, hover over it until the GoldWave window pops up, then drop the file onto the GoldWave window. (You can't drop the file directly onto the Taskbar entry, but hovering over the Taskbar entry will make the window appear.)

2. Start dragging the file, then, while keeping the mouse button held down:

- hold down the [Alt] key and hit the [Tab] key until GoldWave is highlighted,

- release the [Alt] key to make the GoldWave window appear, and then

- drop the file onto the GoldWave window.
mathyou9

Post by mathyou9 »

Thanks Gord! I don't know why I never knew I could do this. :-)
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave has a "-same" command line parameter to open a file in the same instance every time. You'd need to modify the "Open With" command line in Windows to add the parameter.

Chris
mathyou9

Post by mathyou9 »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:GoldWave has a "-same" command line parameter to open a file in the same instance every time. You'd need to modify the "Open With" command line in Windows to add the parameter.

Chris
OK, so I edited the "open with" command line parameter adding the "-same" parameter. It opens the new file just fine, however, it un-maximizes GoldWave's main window. Is there something extra I need to do to keep the main window maximized?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

That's not happening on my system. The window size of the current instance isn't affected. Is "Maximize" selected for the main window under Options | Window?

Chris
mathyou9

Post by mathyou9 »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:... Is "Maximize" selected for the main window under Options | Window?
Yes, the "Maximize" option for the main window is, indeed, selected under Options | Window.

There aren't any "maximize" command line parameters that need to be added, are there? If not, it's not a big deal for me (the other method [as explained by Gord] works perfectly.)
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If GoldWave is minimized when you use "Open With", then it is restored to the normal window size even if it was maximized before being minimized. You could add the "-notop" parameter so that the window is neither restored nor brought to the top. You'll have to click on it instead.

Chris