Using an alternate sound card to pla sound from GoldWave

GoldWave general discussions and community help
rbendtzen

Using an alternate sound card to pla sound from GoldWave

Post by rbendtzen »

Hi.

I am getting a new computer that, (in edition to having the preinstalled onboard sound card, it will also have an external sound card as well. Would it be possible for me to playback sound from GoldWave from that external sound card instead of the on board one? If so, how can I make this work?

Please note that I am blind and will be using the keyboard and not the mouse to figure this out. Please outline the steps. Thank you very much.

Rob Bendtzen
DougDbug

Re: Using an alternate sound card to pla sound from GoldWave

Post by DougDbug »

I only use GoldWave with the GUI and mouse so I can't help you with the keyboard.

Yes. You can change the recording and playback devices:
Options
Control Properties

There is a Playback section and a Recording section and a drop-down box where you can select the device.

Windows also allows you to choose your default recording & playback devices. With Windows 7 and an mouse, right-click the speaker/volume icon and select Recording Devices.

BTW - On my computer when I plugged-in a USB soundcard, Windows automatically switched to the USB soundcard.
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Yeah, there's a good chance you won't have to do any device configuration at all. Whenever I plug an external soundcard into my computer, the OS defaults to that automatically, and so does Goldwave.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Please update when you get your new computer. I'd like to know how things went.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

I don't know about the limitations you may have using Goldwave not having your sight. I can tell you that I used a Focusrite Saffire (Firewire) card for years with my older XP machine. With my newer Windows 8.1 machine, I am using a Presonus Audiobox USB external box and it is working like a dream... just like the Saffire did. You can pick up the Audiobox for a hundred or a bit less. There are some others that can be purchased for less, I can only vouch for the good quality of the two that I use.