can't record

GoldWave general discussions and community help
pfeldman

can't record

Post by pfeldman »

I can get sound out of my speakers from all sorts of sources (Internet content, videos on my computer, etc.), but when I try to capture sound with GoldWave, I get zero amplitude. I've tried recording from Line Input and recording from Stereo Mix; same result both ways. Very perplexing. Probably I'm doing something stupid. I'm using GW 6.31 with Windows 10.

Phillip M. Feldman
http://phillipmfeldman.org
DougDbug

Re: can't record

Post by DougDbug »

Stereo Mix should work if you see that option with your soundcard. (Line-In records from whatever is connected to Line-in on your soundcard so that won't work for streaming audio.)

With Windows 10 WASAPI LOOPBACK should also work. Go to Options -> Control Properties -> and click System. Then make sure Core Audio/WASAPI is selected.

Then still in the Control Properties window, click Device and select a Recording Device that shows "LOOPBACK".

Make sure you are recording from whatever device you are listening through... i.e. If you are listening with USB headphones don't record the output from your regular soundcard. (You can record from the microphone or line input while listening with USB headphones.)

If none of this works there are some more hints & tricks in the GoldWave FAQ.

...With Stereo Mix, playback volume affects recording volume. With WASAPI LOOPBACK, sometimes recording will stop/freeze when there is no sound coming-through to record.
Last edited by DougDbug on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pfeldman

Re: can't record from line input

Post by pfeldman »

I've realized that there is a more fundamental problem: While Goldwave is supposedly recording, the time shown in the status window remains stuck at zero. Searches of the forum haven't shed any light on this problem.

I've made numerous attempts to record from the line input. I know that I have a good, strong signal because I'm hearing it through the speakers. It make no difference at all what recording device is selected via Control Properties.

(FYI, I'm trying to make recordings from some ancient phonograph records).

Phillip M. Feldman
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Make sure that none of the "Delayed Recording" settings are checked (Options | Control Properties, Record tab). If you have Realtek audio hardware, make sure you get the latest sound driver from the manufacturer.
pfeldman

Post by pfeldman »

None of the "Delayed Recording" settings are checked.

I have the latest Realtek audio drivers, but uninstalled and reinstalled just to be sure.

I have Core Audio / WASAPI selected and have selected "LOOPBACK Speakers" as the input.

I do hear sound from the speakers, but nothing is recorded (I get zero amplitude).

I'm using Windows 10.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? If so, how was the problem resolved?

Phillip M. Feldman

Home Page: http://phillipmfeldman.org
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I have Core Audio / WASAPI selected and have selected "LOOPBACK Speakers" as the input.

I do hear sound from the speakers, but nothing is recorded (I get zero amplitude).
By any chance, do you have more than one soundcard/audio interface, or USB speakers or anything "unusual"? ...You just have the speakers built-into your laptop, or analog speakers plugged into your soundcard? i.e. Loopback (or stereo mix, etc.) only works if Goldwave is "listening" to where the sound is coming-out.

If none of this works with your soundcard/drivers you can use a loopback cable on a desktop/tower with a regular soundcard (a loopback cable won't work properly if you have a laptop with only a mic-input). Or you can try Total Recorder, which comes with it's own drivers to get-around some of these problems.
pfeldman

Post by pfeldman »

I have only the one sound card, which is the integrated RealTek audio card on the motherboard in my desktop computer.

There is one slightly unusual element in my configuration: I have an external receiver-amplifier that allows me to select between several analog sound sources (phonograph, cassette tape, FM radio, etc). That source is routed to the line input of the computer. The speaker output from the computer goes back to the receiver-amplifier, which boosts the signal and drives the speakers.

I cannot use a loopback cable because if I connected the computer's speaker output back to the line input, I would not be able to get input from the receiver-amplifier. So, that idea is dead on arrival. I remain open to all other suggestions.
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

Hi Phillip!

Go to Control Properties, then Device. Note the Quality setting; it should be set to "48000/2/32 shared" for recording & playback. Please check in & let us know if this helps.
Stiiv
Rienaaja

Post by Rienaaja »

Change MICROPHONE PRIVACY SETTINGS on Windows; allow applications to use microphone.
(Windows treats Line-In as a potential microphone.)

This helped me.
pfeldman

Post by pfeldman »

Picking up this old thread ...

I'm still stuck on this issue. I can play records on the phonograph and the sound is fine through the computer's speakers, but I can't record anything.

The Quality setting is "48000/2/32 shared" for both recording & playback.

I'll be grateful for any new advice.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I'm still stuck on this issue. I can play records on the phonograph and the sound is fine through the computer's speakers, but I can't record anything.
If the sound is getting into the computer you should be able to record it... Maybe you have a driver problem...

Go to Options -> Control Properties -> Device and make sure you've selected line-in for recording. I assume you are connected to line-in (normally blue on your soundcard).

If it still doesn't work, go to Options -> Control Properties -> System and try both Direct Sound and Core Audio/WASAPI to see if one of them works.
The Quality setting is "48000/2/32 shared" for both recording & playback.
That should be OK but have you tried the other settings?

…You could try Audacity (free) or some other recording application.