Creating one left channel file and one right channel file as

GoldWave general discussions and community help
rbendtzen

Creating one left channel file and one right channel file as

Post by rbendtzen »

Hi.

Is there a way for me to take 2 separate audio files, one containing content on the left channel of a stereo file and another containing content on the right channel of a stereo file and make those files as one stereo file with the left channel on the left side and the right channel on the right side using GoldWave?

Please let me know. Thank you very much.

Rob Bendtzen
DougDbug

Re: Creating one left channel file and one right channel fil

Post by DougDbug »

Sure, the trick is Edit -> Channel. By default both channels are selected. If you only select one channel the unselected channel won't be touched.

For example, you can create a new stereo "file" and then select left & right separately to paste-in the audio from the other two files.

Is that enough to get you going, or do you need more details? Are the original files mono?
rbendtzen

Post by rbendtzen »

Hi.

I would like a little more detail, please. The original files are mono, but they are from a stereo recording. For example, one file contains content from the left channel, and the other file contains content from the right channel. But they are both mono sound files.

Could you please explain how I can do this via a step-by-step guide? Please let me know. Thanks.
Rob Bendtzen
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

OK, that's actually easier -

Just to be clear, you've got two "stereo" files, but has a silent left channel and the other has a silent right channel?

1. Open both files.

2. Select one of the files and select/highlight all of the audio in that file. (By default the last-opened file should be selected, and all of the audio in that file should be selected, or you can click the top part of the waveform where the file name is to select it.)

3. Click Copy. (That will copy the selected file to the GoldWave clipboard.)

4. Click the top part of the other waveform window at the top where the filename is to select it.

5. Click the Mix button. (The audio from the clipboard should get mixed-in, so you should have the different audio in both channels.)

6. Click File -> Save-As To save the mixed file under a new name so you don't over-write your original file.

...I hope I didn't miss anything
rbendtzen

Post by rbendtzen »

Hi.

Actually, I should have told you this when I first posted the topic, but I am totally blind and use a screen reader to help me on my computer. I use it with gold wave. I only use the keyboard, not the mouse. I use key strokes, such as Alt+F for the File menu and Alt+E for the Edit menu and soforth. Each of the submenus and controls have shortcut keys assigned to them. So, if possible, could you rephrase those steps you gave me when using key strokes? For example, after I open both files, where should I go using the keyboard? The File menu? The Edit menu? What? Please elaborate a little more.

Also, the two files I am using have only the right channel silent. The left channel has sound.

Please let me know. Thanks.

Rob Bendtzen
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

You can use Ctr+N to create a new stereo file.

Next open the left channel file and use Ctrl+C to copy it. Press Ctrl+F4 to close that file.

Use Ctrl+R to replace. That will copy the left channel file into both channels of the new stereo file.

Now open the right channel file and use Ctrl+C to copy it and Ctrl+F4 to close it.

Press Ctrl+Shift+R to select the right channel (or Edit | Channel | Right).

Press Ctrl+R to replace. That will replace the right channel with the right channel file you copied.

Now you can save the file.
PlayHymns

Post by PlayHymns »

Hello. My reply is really a thank-you and a question. Thank you to admin for those keystrokes. I am also a GoldWave user who is blind so I really appreciate the detailed step-by-step instructions with keystrokes.

I have a question to add to this. If I record a Zoom call on my computer and tell Zoom to record each participant on a different channel, would these same instructions apply? Another question: If I edit the file of the other participant--say, take out a cough or sneeze--how would I put the files back together again? Does that make sense. I am hosting the call and I'm interviewing someone. There is one channel for me and the other for the interviewee. I want to make sure that I can edit one channel for coughs, etc. but have both files fit seamlessly together when all is said and done. Can GoldWave do that? I am a newbie, so I hope I'm making sense. Thanks for reading,
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

You wouldn't need to separate the channels into files. You can select one channel and use the "Mute" edit command to silence part of that channel without effecting the timing. Or you can use the "Censor" effect with silence (which fades automatically).