Removing unwanted sound from a file ripped from a cassette t

GoldWave general discussions and community help
rbendtzen

Removing unwanted sound from a file ripped from a cassette t

Post by rbendtzen »

Hi.

I have a file that I ripped from an audio cassette tape. The file has some unwanted sound in it. It's a kind of popping sound heard throughout the recording that some audio cassette tapes have. It's sort of a steady, rhythmic pop, pop, pop heard all throughout this particular file. Would it help if I sent you a sound sample of this file, so that hopefully you will be able to understand what I am talking about? Then maybe we can go from there as how to fix this minor, but noticeable problem.

Please let me know. Thank you very much.

Rob Bendtzen

P.S. I am totally blind and use a screen reader with my computer and GoldWave. When you respond, would it be possible for you to send me instructions pertaining to using GoldWave with the keyboard?
rbendtzen

Re: Removing unwanted sound from a file ripped from a casset

Post by rbendtzen »

Hi.

I forgot to tell you that I have already tried using the Pop/Clicks feature to remove the popping sound heard in the file from the audio cassette. Unfortunately, the sound did not go away. Do you have any further solutions?

Please let me know. Thank you very much.

Rob Bendtzen
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

P.S. I am totally blind and use a screen reader with my computer and GoldWave. When you respond, would it be possible for you to send me instructions pertaining to using GoldWave with the keyboard?
Sorry, but I only use GoldWave with the mouse or trackball.

You can try Effect -> Filter -> Pop/Click.

There is a free program called Wave Corrector that's intended for cleaning-up digitized vinyl, and that might be worth a try. The web site is down at the moment... (Or, maybe it's gone permanently but you can probably still find a copy) http://www.wavecor.co.uk/

I've also used a program called Wave Repair ($30 USD) for cleaning-up digitized vinyl. http://www.delback.co.uk/wavrep/

Wave Repair has several different repair options and it does an audibly perfect job on most vinyl clicks & pops. I don't know how well it work on your particular defects. But unfortunately, it's "manual" and very "visual". You have to find & identify the defects, and often you have to change to the spectral view and zoom-in to find the few-milliseconds you're trying to fix. It's very time-consuming to fix the defects one at a time and it might be impossible if you can't see the waveform or spectrum.
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

To the OP:

In extreme cases, you have to zoom in to the offending pop and basically redraw the waveform to get rid of it. There's an interpolation tool that helps a little bit, but getting it aligned correctly is very much a matter of working with the eyes. You can't just punch a button in a module window and let GoldWave do things automatically.

You'd face the same challenges with any mastering program with de-cllcking and de-popping features. There are some things that need to be done by eye, one at a time. Sorry about that.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

You may be able to use the Edit | Find feature to search for Pops/Clicks. You can then use Edit | Blend At Marker with a very short duration (0.001) to smooth it out.