removing lyrics / vocals

GoldWave general discussions and community help
tmlguy604

removing lyrics / vocals

Post by tmlguy604 »

is there a way to remove all the words from a song? ... ie copying lyrics without beats from 1 song to another?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: removing lyrics / vocals

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Usually there is no perfect way to do that. The Effect | Stereo | Reduce Vocals command cancels out the vocals in some songs depending on how it was recorded. To keep the vocals and remove the music requires installing the GWAmp plug-in for GoldWave and the dsp_centercut Winamp plug-in.

Unzip/extract the dsp_centercut file and use the Options | Plug-in | GWAmp command in GoldWave to set the folder for that file.

Use the Effect | Plug-in | GWAmp | GWAmp command and select the "Center Cut - Center (Mono)" effect name. That removes the music and leaves the vocals (but only in ideal cases).

Chris
jdeligiannis

Post by jdeligiannis »

I installed GWAmp and downloaded dsp_centercut and extracted those files into the Goldwave folder.

I then went to Options, but I did not see the "Plug-in" feature. I'm using v4.26.

What am I doing wrong?
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

jdeligiannis wrote:I then went to Options, but I did not see the "Plug-in" feature. I'm using v4.26.

What am I doing wrong?
You did everything correctly, but I believe that the plug in(s) only works with version 5 of GoldWave. Download the latest version of GoldWave (5.12), and you should have no trouble running the plug ins.

Sarge
jdeligiannis

Post by jdeligiannis »

Use the Effect | Plug-in | GWAmp | GWAmp command and select the "Center Cut - Center (Mono)" effect name. That removes the music and leaves the vocals (but only in ideal cases).
I got the plug-in working, but it doesn't have any presets. There's nothing under "Effect name" either.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

After you've installed (unzipped) the dsp_centercut.dll file, you'll need to use Options | Plug-in | GWAmp in GoldWave to specify the folder where the DSP file is located. The "Center Cut" plug-in should appear in the list when you've selected the correct folder.

Chris
jcloud

?

Post by jcloud »

what exactly are "ideal situation" that we want?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The ideal case is to have vocals entirely in the center and music entirely in the sides. That is almost never the case (because it doesn't sound right). Usually some music is in the center and some vocals (echo/reverb) are in the sides. That music gets removed when the vocals are cancelled out or remains when trying to extract only the vocals.

Chris
jcloud

Post by jcloud »

k...so how likely is it 2 seperate the voice from the music. Because i've tried it already and it doesnt seem like anythin had happened. Is it cuz it not one of those "ideal situations" that we're looking for, or is it because im doing something wrong?
Emmett

Post by Emmett »

You will never isolate the voice...It will simply never happen because everything else in the stereo field would have to be panned 90 degrees from the center...No stereo effects, including reverb, could be applied...And nobody would mix that way. You might have slightly more success removing most of the vocals, if they're panned to center. Some mixes can have the vocals effectively removed, but I've never heard one that would allow the vocals to be isolated.

Emmett
jcloud

Post by jcloud »

another question
i've installed the plug in and all the way it suppose 2 be. But i still dont have any preset. The effect name shows up, but when u pick any of them, there's no preset. How come?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

There are no presets for the GWAmp plug-in because the plug-in does not include any effects by itself. It requires Winamp plug-ins, some if which include their own presets. All you need to do in this case is select the appropriate effect from the "Effect name" list.

Chris
raggemurre

Post by raggemurre »

But I don't understand this To be honest.
I bought this program to be able to remove the instrumental or keep it instrumental to be able to mix more.

I installed the programs. Copy them and pasted them into the folder.

But as you said when I load Goldwave then go for effect - Plug in - Gwamp - Gwamp I can choose between 4 diffirents Effect name Center cut and one classic vocal remover and a dsp_sps. But I can't configure any of them and there'r no presets.

So do I´ve to run Winamp then pick the track and Use the presets there, am I not allowed to add the center cut in goldwave to the track in goldwave? Please help me out
I use Windows Vista 64bit and lastest version of Goldwave. Am I doing anything wrong please help me out.
Sorry for reply to an old threat, but otherewise I bet I would get alot of complainers " a similar thread up"

I need to get the answer Please if anyone can.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I bought this program to be able to remove the instrumental or keep it instrumental to be able to mix more.
There are a few "tricks" that can sometimes work to some extent, but "you can't un-bake a cake and you can't un-mix a song." :) You can add to the mix.... (Pros use multitrack recording so that they can mix in post-production.)

But as you said when I load Goldwave then go for effect - Plug in - Gwamp - Gwamp I can choose between 4 diffirents Effect name Center cut and one classic vocal remover and a dsp_sps. But I can't configure any of them and there'r no presets.
I've never tried it, but the dsp_centercut website says there are 5 options and says nothing about "presets" or other configurations options:
Center Cut - Sides: Removes the 'center' channel (whatever is in both the left and right channels).
Center Cut - Center: Keeps only the 'center' channel.
Center Cut - Sides (Bass to Sides): Removes the 'center' channel, except for bass.
Center Cut - Center (Bass to Sides): Keeps only the 'center' channel, except for bass.
Classic Vocal Remover: This is simply the difference between the left and right channels ((L-R)/2). Not very interesting compared to the other modes, but I included it for comparison.

So do I´ve to run Winamp then pick the track and Use the presets there...
I think you'll have the same 4 or 5 options. But, you're probably better-off using a Winamp plug-in with Winamp itself. (I think there's way to send the Winamp output to a WAV file.)
Last edited by DougDbug on Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raggemurre

Post by raggemurre »

ok thanks.
But the configure or preset parts. If I just chooce for example cancel vocals - Ok then nothing happend nothing changes but if I do in the winap then it happend. Could you also give me a few tricks how to mix 2 tracks? 1

Because all I want is for example Mix one Voice to another instrumental. If I try to do that the Instrumental become comepletly weird.